Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leap of faith?

Default Leap of faith?

Trying to decide whether to change from win 7 to linux or not since I'm not using my computer to play games a lot anymore, even though I still want to be able to do so from time to time. And I think using linux will improve my computer skills a lot, as well as I like to try new things. Should I make the jump?

-Diamon
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Default Re: Leap of faith?

THere's no need to sacrifice one for the other. You can do a dual boot setup, or just try a Linux live disc to try it out and learn.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

The thing is that I want to try linux on my ssd to see how fast it will work, made a complete backup of my c-drive using a live-cd though.

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Well, using a live-cd obviously won't tell you anything about how fast Linux will run off your SSD, but as for switching, it really depends.. IMO, the fastest, best way to learn Linux is to install it as your full-time OS on your main system. Just make sure that you have internet access, and you should be fine.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I think so too.
    Meh, what do I have to loose except a few hours of work? Might as well go for it.

-TheOatmeal

I'm not 100% on this, since I dont run Linux on an SSD, but apparent you need to disable caching, or you could damage/destroy your ssd.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I'm not 100% on this, since I dont run Linux on an SSD, but apparent you need to disable caching, or you could damage/destroy your ssd.
    It won't destroy it per say, but the bits on an SSD can only be flipped about a million times each and then they're done. It sounds like that will last forever, but when an OS or program is constantly writing data to the drive only to write over it a second and a half later, the bits start dieing off after a about a year or two depending on use. While there are plenty of bits on a 60+GB drive, nobody wants to needlessly kill their SSD. Some of the decent quality SSDs have wear-leveling and other features to help prevent this, but that only delays the inevitable. Most companies that manufacture SSDs have forums or other sources of info on what and how everything needs to be configured.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

I've read up on that a bit and there's a few settings I'll change to make it write a bit less often. The linux distro I chose is linux mint btw.

-TheOatmeal

Good, based off of Ubuntu, there will be lots of support & tutorials for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Plus, the new kernel in mint 9 and Ubuntu 10 has wear leveling and TRIM built in. Less worries.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08