Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: TBCS 5TB club

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default TBCS 5TB club

Well, I was sorta joking, but thinking more about it, I think it's a good idea ;P

So, here we go; inspired by Trace's 4GHz Club, I hereby announce the formation of the (unofficial but awesome) TBCS 5TB club.

Post your storage stats (screenshot/df output/etc) and an explanation of how you're doing it.

EDIT:
    Updated rules:

1) Value must be must be unique, usable storage space.

---If you are using a RAID5 or 6 array, your parity drive does not count toward the total. If you are using a RAID1 or similar, your mirror drives do not count toward the total. If you are using WHS's 'duplication' feature, the 'duplication' space does not count toward the total since it is essentially acting as a logical mirror drive.

2) All storage must be accessible as a single unit.

---This may be multiple individual drives on a single system, an array of drives on a single system, multiple drives on multiple systems that can all be mapped to one, etc. As long as all storage is accessible at one time from a single system, it counts.

3) You must post an explanation of what makes up the space and how you have it managed, and a screenshot or command output showing the volume (see my first post for an example).
    Last edited by x88x; 05-19-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: updated rules
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Default Re: TBCS 5TB club

Code:
    khar0n@faust:~$ df -h
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/faust-root
                          3.2G 1006M  2.1G  33% /
    udev                 1001M  276K 1000M   1% /dev
    none                 1001M     0 1001M   0% /dev/shm
    none                 1001M  740K 1000M   1% /var/run
    none                 1001M     0 1001M   0% /var/lock
    none                 1001M     0 1001M   0% /lib/init/rw
    /dev/sdf5             228M   15M  201M   7% /boot
    /dev/md0              5.4T  3.3T  1.9T  64% /home/khar0n/faust
    OS drive: 4GB Ridata CF card
    Ubuntu server 9.10

Storage:
    2x 1.5TB WD Green
    3x 1.5TB Samsung F2
    mdadm software RAID-5
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I'll have to get back to you on this--I've got computers scattered around the state.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Is this for 5TB in one computer? Or 5TB throughout all my computers?

Glad to be inspiring
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    Is this for 5TB in one computer? Or 5TB throughout all my computers?
    Preferably one computer, but conglomerate is acceptable
    --Benjamin Franklin

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

That's just the server - there is probably another 3 or 4 tb around the house in various computers - I know offhand my PC has almost 1tb, my media centre is 750gb, then there's the wifes, my sons, and 3 laptops all with between 160 and 500gb and who knows how many drives in "spare" computers I loan to customers....

Server has now run out of SATA ports to next steps will either be a controller card and then keep piling in the drives, or I'll start replacing the smaller drives with bigger ones - got a terebyte free at the moment so don't really need to worry yet...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Arghh, I'm just off by a bit. My server has ~4.5TB. 2TB+ in the case, and 2TB+ USB backup.

Mostly just our movie collection, game backups/saves, drivers, OS Backups, ripped cd's, etc. I would shoot myself if I didn't have the backup and one of the drives died. I gladly sacrifice the space for an external copy that only gets turned on when adding something new to the server.

So all in all I only have 2TB usable, but the redundancy gives me a warmish feeling inside.

As you can see from the image above, a total of 340mb of my entire server containing 3.6TB is duplicated :s

Something for the future - going to start replacing small drives with 1.5's soon and I'll increase duplication then

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    going to start replacing small drives with 1.5's soon and I'll increase duplication then
    Depending on how soon 'soon' is, you might catch the beginning of the 2TB best-cost-per-GB era. The Hitachi and Seagate 2TB models have been dropping down to $150 in sales recently; only a matter of time till they and the other manufacturers drop the normal prices that low. Of course, by then the 1.5TB models will be under $100....meh, idk, whatever; I'm locked into 1.5TB drives for the current iteration of my server anyways .
    --Benjamin Franklin

Pretty much every drive in that server was bought when it was the best cost per gb lol - and you're bang on the money, that's exactly why my current plans relate to 1.5tb drives. A side bonus is that the smallest drive(s) will be the oldest so I'll also be doing a little failure prevention by weeding out the oldest hardware.

One of the things I really like about Windows Home Server is the disk management - it doesn't care what drives you use, it'll make it work - IDE, SATA, USB, Firewire - it'll pile em all up and present them as a single volume and you can choose on a folder level what to duplicate and what not to. Not only that but if the whole thing goes pop, you can pull any drive, pop it into any (well almost any) PC and it'll be perfectly readable as long as it's physically ok. The duplication isn't space efficient, admittedly, on a par with Raid 1 but with the cost of storage nowadays, that isn't the issue it used to be...