Thread: re-wiring LED bar

Default re-wiring LED bar

I have a red (30) LED light bar from an exit sign, and was wondering what would be involved in putting it in my machine.

the only information i can find on the side says "120VAC 60HZ 2.65 WATTS"

thanks

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: re-wiring LED bar

Two options spring to mind - the first and possibly easier one would be to wire the strip directly into the mains power - either by opening up the PSU and connecting it directly to the mains input etc - but thats potentially dangerous - or you could fit a second power inlet on the case and wire it to that and have a second power cable running to the PC, which would be a bit messy and even possibly overkill. The second option would be to strip it down and try to find out what voltage the actual LEDs run on because there's no way it's 120v - there'll be a voltage regulator in there somewhere stepping the voltage down to the 2-5v range most likely - if you can figure out the actual voltage of the LEDs themselves, you may well be able to find a way to wire it up internally to a lower voltage supply, which would be tidier, probably safer, and would probably be the best overall option.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey