Thread: First Fan Grill!

"Lemme Sho' Ya' Sumtin!!!" - FMB

Default First Fan Grill!

Here is another first, i really wish i had a CNC machine....it would make this so much easier! This was done with a dremel, so bare with me here....

The idea and everything ready to go.

Here it is after cut out and i gave it some sanding after i took the film off...sanded with the dremel drums.

Here's a better look at the detail that i tried to put into it....kinda sucks but hey it's my first!

More sanding and finishing to come!
    Project: Archangel Complete
    Project: Patron W.I.P
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

Default Re: First Fan Grill!

hope that isnt covering a vital fan, lol looks like its gonna block a lot of airflow. but cool idea with the wing! +rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Nah, it's just a side fan. Idt the fan really does anything except for making everything in the case look cool. haha.
    Thanks for the rep!
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

12/16/09
    Here's a update....some difference in shape and openings within the grill.

Still more work to come!

I decide that i'm just going to leave the grill how it is.
    It looks cool just how it is!

Pics to come soon!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Looks pretty nice. It's kinda hard to distinguish the wing from the background though. If you went over the background with high grain sandpaper it should make it smoother and more transparent, and thus differentiated from the wing itself. Also, if it were me, I would get an xacto knife, or similar, and clean out the cuts; looks like you've got a lot of plexi-cruft in there.

EDIT:
    Also, one thing I've discovered in my experience; dremels are great for blowing through the rough work, but (imo) hand tools are best for finishing off the details, like, down at the bottom, it looks like there's extra plexi there that is outside of the wing design. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a dremel to an area that small, but get yourself a set of small handfiles and you should be able to get it exactly where you want it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Looks pretty nice. It's kinda hard to distinguish the wing from the background though. If you went over the background with high grain sandpaper it should make it smoother and more transparent, and thus differentiated from the wing itself. Also, if it were me, I would get an xacto knife, or similar, and clean out the cuts; looks like you've got a lot of plexi-cruft in there.

EDIT:
    Also, one thing I've discovered in my experience; dremels are great for blowing through the rough work, but (imo) hand tools are best for finishing off the details, like, down at the bottom, it looks like there's extra plexi there that is outside of the wing design. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a dremel to an area that small, but get yourself a set of small handfiles and you should be able to get it exactly where you want it.
    Yea, i forgot to mention that i did use a sanding bit to open up the grill a little but your right it could use a little more finishing details.