Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Apple iPad!!!!!

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: Apple iPad!!!!!

I'll probably just have to save up for a Wacom Cintiq eventually... or whatever's out when I can actually afford one, lol. I would still love to see some sort of portable drawing tablet someday, that way I'm not hauling around a bag full of art supplies (although the art supplies would be significantly cheaper to replace if stolen).

Here is a run down and hands on video for those interested...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...irst-hands-on/

Definitely not a netbook killer.. maybe its an iPod touch for the vision impaired.

# It's running iPhone OS 3.2.
    # No Flash confirmed. So Hulu is out for you, folks!

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

From Reddit;

"Just yesterday I was looking at my iPhone thinking "Hmmm, I wish this thing didn't fit in my pocket and couldn't make phone calls." Then I looked over to my netbook and couldn't help but feel it would benefit from losing the keyboard and being made of 50% glass.

Finally apple gives me what I wish."

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Definitely not a netbook killer.. maybe its an iPod touch for the vision impaired.
    Maybe it's for computer illiterate giants? lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

regardless of specs... yay for hipster techno junk lol
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    That still doesn't answer why you'd pick this over a netbook? A netbook is cheaper and has far more functionality.
    Because I have yet to see a thin, light, 10" touchscreen netbook with 10 hours of battery life, decent gaming ability, bluetooth, nWifi, for $499.

(The rest of this response is not directed specifically to Zephik)

I'm hardly an Apple fanboy (in respose to comments about how we are all clamoring to buy this despite it's "inflated price", "just because it has a fruit on it"), in fact quite the opposite. My Mac mini (which I got in trade for an older PC) pisses me off quite substantially, quite regularly. Anyone who tries to tell me that Macs are better than PCs for art or music gets a nice earful of reality check from me.

I dont need multitasking on a PMP, I dont need a keyboard or mouse (though a dock with integrated keyboard is announced already, and shown at launch), this is simply an iPod that is nicer to watch videos on. The end.

Is it worth $499? To me, and to many others, yes. If it's not to you, then that's fine.. but seriously, stop trying to convince us it's not good, or that it's only desirable because it's an Apple product, or that we dont need it and we need a netbook instead.

I had a netbook (EeePC), and did not like it. I found I was using it strictly as a PMP, since it was underpowered for work purposes, but with the small screen, I figured I might as well just get a dedicated PMP, since I was carrying the netbook and the laptop with me when I travelled anyways.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

I love the Engadget hands-on. It's all glitchy, and the guy demostrating it has no idea how to use it. Fantastic.

I don't see this living past the second or third gen. unless they include alot of key items. I mean seriously, the Nano does video.

-CollinstheClown

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

So, after looking through some more of the hype, I finally realized what was really bugging me about it....it's ugly. I know, I know, heresy, but really; I've been a big fan of Apple's design for a long time now (technical and DRM choices, not so much..but design? definitely.), and this really feels like they took a lot of the good things they've worked out recently and thrown them away. The biggest killer in its looks for me, I think, is that massive bezel. I mean, ok, I can see the bottom row for the button (maybe), but not the other 3 sides. It feels a bit like the iPod 1G; good basic shape and size, but rough and unfinished.

So, Apple; let the thing out of the kiddie pool, put a real OS on it, rework the design a bit, put a damn usb port on it, and you might get my attention. Without any of those, all I see if a giant iPhone with powerful hardware going to waste.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

heehee...I love a good "rumble" between PC and Mac enthusiasm. It's like the Colosseum for me.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    heehee...I love a good "rumble" between PC and Mac enthusiasm. It's like the Colosseum for me.
    You would have loved the "conversation" between my MAC fanatic friend and I just before Apple switched to Intel procs. I had been reading up on Apple's decision to switch, months before they actually did and kind of baited him.

Before:
    "I would never buy another Apple product if they started using Intel chips."

After:
    "Apple made a wise decision changing chips due to the power requirements and processing power" (or something like that. It was almost word for word what Jobs said about their decision to switch)

I still chide him about it.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Sorry, I guess I should have specified; by a 'real OS', I just meant something that wasn't designed for a phone. I have no doubt that full OSX would run just fine on the A4 chip.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV