Thread: sleeving a PSU

Default sleeving a PSU

Im going with a modular Psu, so i wont have to worry so much about taking apart the power supply and that kind of thing, but i dont know the big question... How much sleeving do i need? im planning on sleeving the PSU like this.

Default Re: sleeving a PSU

For that connector, you would need 24 pieces x length. Just measure the length of each cable, and multiply it by the number of wires on each cable.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

yea... i just dont have the PSU yet so im trying to budget. =( thanks for the advice tho

Last Thoughts

You might also look in to a Pin remover, I think Xoxide.com has some. Helps the process go a little quicker and safer. It's just a tool to remove the plastic connector from the wiring. I know either www.xoxide.com has some or www.frozencpu.com does. It's one of those.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

For the sleeving, that really entirely depends on what model PSU you get; my Corsair TX750W has cables about twice as long as my OCZ Stealth X Stream 500W. As an offhand guess though, if you're wanting to do all of the cables in a per-wire sleeve, I would guess probably about 200-300 feet. Since you're doing it with a modular though, if you only have the MBB connectors, two PCIe connectors, and one SATA line, I would guess maybe about 100-150 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by DuroMentis View Post
    You might also look in to a Pin remover, I think Xoxide.com has some.
    Here ya go:
    http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-psu-tool-kit.html
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

MDPC has some really nice stuff.

Tools here. Don't forget heatshrink.

sweet, took me a while to wander back into this section, I was looking into it and i guess that it voids your warranty to do that... so im gooing plan b. Im going to be purchasing an 8 pin extender, 24 pin extender, 6 pin ext, ect and sleeving the extensions. I actually found some really nice looking sleeving at jab-tach.com, i really like it, the uv blue and the black are very tight weaves as far as i can tell, and i cant see the cable through them when i try, the sleeving in the pic is carbon fiber, not as nice looking but the black sample got tossed during a cleaning spree.

the connecter isnt going anywhere, it was just the first one in my parts box that i came across

I don't see how sleeving the cables on a modular PSU would void the warranty. Perhaps you can just send in the PSU without the cables if you require warranty coverage. Also, you can cut off heatshrink and remove the sleeving before sending the PSU in.