Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newegg's Update on the Fake Core i7-920 CPU Situation

Default Newegg's Update on the Fake Core i7-920 CPU Situation

This is a press release made by Newegg today via the company’s Facebook page.

Newegg is currently conducting a thorough investigation surrounding recent shipments of questionable Intel Core i7-920 CPUs purchased from Newegg.com. Initial information we received from our supplier, IPEX, stated that they had mistakenly shipped us "demo units." We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit and are terminating our relationship with this supplier. Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question.

More...

Default Re: Newegg's Update on the Fake Core i7-920 CPU Situation

Wow...I hadn't heard anything about that! You know you have balls when you wake up one morning and decide you're going to counterfeit a freakin' CPU. That sounds like a pretty intense scheme.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

I love that Newegg is honest about this and that they are actively trying to fix everything. I respect them as much as ever because of this.

Newegg proves their awesomeness again! and I'm suprised they didnt list the faulty supplier.
    Not dead yet

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Nice, I thought the 'demo unit' story was kinda odd. Good to see Newegg stepping up like they have though, and definitely good to hear that they cut off all business deals with the supplier that they got them from.

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    Newegg proves their awesomeness again! and I'm suprised they didnt list the faulty supplier.
    That would be IPEX.
    Initial information we received from our supplier, IPEX, stated that they had mistakenly shipped us "demo units." We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit and are terminating our relationship with this supplier.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

I didn't even know they made 'demo' units for CPUs. Never seen a little case with fake CPUs sitting out where I've shopped for computer parts. But on the other hand it has been about 8 years probably since I set foot in a brick and mortar that carried CPUs in house. Everything in the last years has been newegg or tigerdirect for me.

It is good that newegg is replacing all the units with real processors though.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Quote Originally Posted by Bopher View Post
    I didn't even know they made 'demo' units for CPUs. Never seen a little case with fake CPUs sitting out where I've shopped for computer parts. But on the other hand it has been about 8 years probably since I set foot in a brick and mortar that carried CPUs in house. Everything in the last years has been newegg or tigerdirect for me.

It is good that newegg is replacing all the units with real processors though.
    I know that when i worked at office max we got stuff like that for our "high risk" stores. Cardboard ram and the like.
    Not dead yet

Not dead yet

Fresh Paint

Was this for OEM CPU's or the retail packaged ones. I just bought a retail packaged 920 from Newegg in January and was wondering.

Scott

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

It was retail packaged ones. If you ordered it in January I'm assuming you got it already? (if you haven't, there are other issues you need to address) If you got a foam CPU, let Newegg know and they'll replace it. Otherwise, don't worry about it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV