Thread: MacBook Pro issues

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default MacBook Pro issues

Before anyone freaks out, no, I did not buy a Mac. It's for a friend, I swear. ..no, but seriously, I didn't buy a Mac....

Anyways, I haven't seen the thing yet, but apparently the onboard keyboard, touchpad, and ODD have stopped working, but when you plug keyboard/mouse/etc into the USB ports, they work fine. I'm guessing a loose ribbon cable, but anyone who has more experience with MBP's have any other ideas?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Default Re: MacBook Pro issues

definatly loose cable... with those things it always is... They never break... they just unclip... I would go teardown route, or take it in if its less than a year old... and dont worry... I "didnt" buy a macbook pro either...
    Not dead yet

If it's a pro, you have to remove every visible screw on the casing, then pop off the top part (keyboard/touchpad are all one piece). The ribbon cable for the keyboard/touchpad connect dead center in the mobo, right under the keyboard. The ODD connection should be separate from that, so if two of them are disconnected, I'd either suspect it was opened and not reassembled right, or it was dropped/hit hard enough to disconnect.

While you have it open, do a visual inspection on the components on the right side of the mobo (approximately where the enter key is on the keyboard), and look for heat damage.

I've only opened two macbook pros, both of which were recent, and both of which were failures due to heat.. and both failures were within an inch of each other.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

lol... i installed SMC fan control for mine... helps alot
    Not dead yet

I did that on my Mac Mini.. HUUUGE difference! 80'C? No thanks.. it maxes at 62'C now.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I found out that the fans are just as quiet around 3000 rpm as they are at the default 2000
    Not dead yet