Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Temple of Fusion - All Your Transistors Will Bow to Me

Default Re: Temple of Fusion - All Your Transistors Will Bow to Me

Custom = Nothing Fits - 6/28/2011

The problem with building a custom from scratch case for the first time is that you will make a lot of mistakes. It seems nothing fits, one thing is too long, while anther is too short. This what happen most of the weekend when building the computer part. I thought it would only take an hour or two to start plumping all the lines. Boy I was wrong, and only got the tubing in the base done. But the good part is, the tubing in the base is the hardest part of this computer build.

I first started off by putting in the two PSUs. I attached the nickel plate to the two PSUs, the used brass screws to connect the plate to the Temple. The brass screws are not shown in the pictures, but you can tell where the go. I didn't install the pumps, because I am waiting for G3/8 to G/14 converter. Forgot the pumps had larger holes with the Bitspower front.

Next was installing the two pumps. The first thing I had to do was get it re-wired. The power was on a 4-pin molex, while the RPM was on a 3-pin connector. The control board that I will be using will drive the pump, and it has a 3-pin male as the hook up to the pump. It is cool, the software can read the RPM, and have feedback. Also will be putting flow meters in each loop. As an engineer, you can never have enough data. Here are pictures of the re-wire and the placement of the pumps.

The next thing I had to do was get the reservoirs mounted. When using the brackets, it pushed out the reservoirs too much. There was a simply fix was to cut down the mounts. This worked out great. So I drilled the holes, and the screws were to short because off the Temple's wall. I had to run to Ace to get some longer machine screws. Here are some pictures of the process.

After that ordeal, I started plumping the tubes for the radiators, reservoirs, and the pumps. I pre-cut holes in the bottom base so I could hook up the radiators and reservoirs. However the end up being to small. I didn't want to cut first and tried to route the first tube: radiator → reservoir. I tried about 2 frustrating hours trying to get the compression fitting screwed into the radiator. I needed a break and would have some time on Sunday to work on the case again. I got some sleep and the next day the first thing I did was cut bigger bottom holes in the base. I did it with a jigsaw, but the blade was too long and hitting the top of the base, so I snapped the blade to make it shorter and it worked wonderful. I got the first route done, and moved onto the reservoirs. This was going to be tricky, since the reservoir covers the hole were the tubes are connected to it. The top hole is pretty small, but the hole on the bottom was big to help move the fittings around. It took some tries, and scraping off some dirt paint, but I got the two 90degree fittings hooked up to the reservoir and got the fittings into the base. The bad thing is I had to remove the bottom mount to get fit into the hole. I ended up breaking the mount trying to but it back on, but it was the best thing. I just used super glue on the edges, then placed the mount with the screw inside, then waited a couple of minutes, and it was good a new. Since the mount is behind the reservoir, no one can see were it cracked.

Now I moved on to the right side and ran into another problem. The radiator was sitting too high, and I couldn't get the fitting connected to the radiator, because the fittings was hitting the top of the base. So I cut the top piece in two places, so the fittings could fit (can be seen in the pic below). Since the area was small, I couldn't use a jigsaw and had to use the dremel, which took some time. The fans will hide the cut outs, and the fitting don't hit the fan, because of the ½ off wood I cut out. After that, it was smooth sailing, and I got all the connections that run through the base done. This are the hardest routes. Here are some pictures of my odyssey.

In the last shot, you will see Bitspower multi-PSU board. Easy way to hook up two PSUs. Also, the two silver things at the end of the two tubes are temp sensors.

After I got the bottom plumping done, it was too late to work on anything else. So I am looking forward to next weekend to get the computer finished. And I am glad it is a three day weekend because of the holiday. On a bad note, it might take some time to get another update done. I got to take some piece out of my current rig, to make the computer in the Temple. Hopefully I will get it done in a week or two, and can show off some finished shots, after I get it clean, polished, and the paint touched up.

Sorry, it has been a long time that I have had an update. But I have some bad news about my health. I thought I was going to finally get better, but it seems there are some more underlining issues. I am not going into much detail, but it has delayed the build for a little bit. The sad thing is that I am almost done. Just need to install the brass boxes, finish up the tubes, and finish up the edging, plating, and painting.

Hopefully I should get the project done soon. When I feel better, I will definitely try to finish the project. This is pretty much a guarantee, since I had to take down my main computer, and want it back.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you feel better soon, that's the important part.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Hope you're feeling better soon. Good luck.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quick Update – 8/18/2011

Currently I am still suffering from a medical condition, but was able to do some small work on the computer. I want to get it done, since it is my main computer. The medical condition is not the chronic nerve pain, but something else. The doctors want me to get off medicine and wait to see what happens. It could be multiple things, but time will tell.
    First I got the pumps in a new position. The original position was angled, which didn’t work. Now they are facing straight, compared to the walls. After that, I started getting the fans on the radiators. Since the controller controls 6 fans, I tied the top 2 fans together. Once all the fans were in, I connected extensions to the wires. Here are some pics.

The next thing I started working on the motherboard and GFX cards. I installed all the water blocks onto the mother board. Plus I install the motherboard with the GFX cards to see if I had any fitment problems. It turned out that the Blu-Ray box will hit the farthest GFX card. So I just made the box a little smaller to solve the problem.

I started to install the edging on top of the Temple, but there was a very high spot on one of the sides. Also there was a high spot on when of the obelisk. I had to sand the high spots out, the re-paint it black. Here is a pic.

I got the top all done. I had some big scratches in it, so I had to redo the polishing. It was a pain, but it is definitely worth it. Here is a pic.

Here is all the metal I still have to install. I got the top and bottom edging for the Temple, cover plates for the front of the obelisk, edging for the obelisk, Blu-Ray, I/O controls, and the back panel. Too much metal, but I will get it done.

I am slowly making progress and hopefully get it done soon. Still got a lot of metal work and polishing to do, But I am glad that I have something to keep me busy, even though I cannot work so much.

Looking good.

I hope your medical problems come out well...whatever they might be.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Looks good! hate to be that guy, but waaay too much thermal paste. lol... Can't wait to see it finished! GL with your health too!
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Looking good.

I hope your medical problems come out well...whatever they might be.
    I should have an update soon. Only have about 3-4 left on the project, and cannot wait to get it done. With all the shiny brass, it looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    Looks good! hate to be that guy, but waaay too much thermal paste. lol... Can't wait to see it finished! GL with your health too!
    Thanks. For the thermal paste I follow the directions from EK Water Blocks. It said put it into a star pattern. But I should have made the the paste in smaller traces.

Almost Done – 9/3/2011

I got most of the metal cleaned up and placed onto the Temple of Fusion. I still got to clean the obelisks and door brass. After I got 95% of the brass put on I started to hook up the computer. I got the majority of the water tubing, but ran out. I should get some more tomorrow in the mail. Then I worked hooking up the wires. I got most of the power hook-up except for the MB. The only signal connections I have left is getting the regular HDD connect to the MB and some temp sensors. The 90degree SATA2 cables didn't work, so have some straight ones coming tomorrow too. I also added in noise reducing padding to the HDD, Blu-Ray players, and to the walls of the lower part of the Temple, where the pumps are. Hopefully this will keep the noise down a little. Here are some pics of the process.

I should be done really soon. Have to touch up the paint for the veneers. Place the brass edging to cover up the sides of the Temple, doors, Blu-Ray, and the side I/O panel. Then finish connecting the tubing and wires, and I should be able to add water and test out the connections. Then just load Win7 and the games, and time to start overclocking. Well, I got to get the computer room set-up down stairs and set-up the new power lines for the Temple of Fusion.

Wow, dude...that is seriously impressive.
    --Benjamin Franklin