Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Temple of Fusion - All Your Transistors Will Bow to Me

Default Re: Temple of Fusion - All Your Transistors Will Bow to Me

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Awww, why the audio neglect?

Everything else looks awesome though. As good as you can get without going nuts (G34/Ares).

As I was reading through that list, I caught myself thinking "Dual 1kW PSUs? That's a bit overkill." ...and then realized how ridiculous that thought is in context.

I assume those two 20A plugs are on separate dedicated circuits?
    Pretty soon I will be moving the computer from the upstairs bedroom to the basement. I have my 'man cave' set-up in the basement. Planning on connecting the audio into my Sony ES 5.1 system. Then I have some good Polk Audio speakers.

But I don't see the reason why to upgrade to an audio card. Working in the tech industry, I don't see too much upside. But then this computer is overkill, so what's another ~$100

Maybe when I update my 5.1 set-up in the 'man cave' to a 7.1, I will get an audio card.

Here are some pics of the 'man cave.'

You are correct, two separate 20A lines. Will be hooking up 2 new lines in the basement, just for this computer

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 6-Bolt View Post
    But I don't see the reason why to upgrade to an audio card. Working in the tech industry, I don't see too much upside.
    It all depends on your personal preferences I suppose. For me, the difference in audio quality was immediately noticeable even with a relatively cheap Xonar DX ($70, iirc). Having experienced the difference that a real sound card can make, I will never ever go back to integrated. Especially if you're hooking it up to nice speakers, you owe it to yourself to get a good sound card. Trust me, you won't regret it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

It all depends on your personal preferences I suppose. For me, the difference in audio quality was immediately noticeable even with a relatively cheap Xonar DX ($70, iirc). Having experienced the difference that a real sound card can make, I will never ever go back to integrated. Especially if you're hooking it up to nice speakers, you owe it to yourself to get a good sound card. Trust me, you won't regret it.
    I think you have converted me over, but the audio card has to wait until later. I have blown the budget a couple of times already for this build. Plus it 'sounds' like a good gift that the wife can get me for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by 6-Bolt View Post
    Plus it 'sounds' like a good gift that the wife can get me for Christmas
    Good luck with that. Either that or you've got a great wife. Just saying....
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    Good luck with that. Either that or you've got a great wife. Just saying....
    I have a great wife. We pretty much tell each other what we want for Christmas. For my birthday, she got me the Logitech G-15 keyboard.

Also, she knows that one of my childhood dreams was to own a Dodge muscle car. I was going to buy one when I was 17, but my parents screwed me over. Anyways, she told me a couple day ago that I could trade in my EVO to get a 09 Dodge Challenger SRT-8. I loved the Challenger as a kid, now I can finally get a MOPAR with a HEMI

Also, she was there for me going through chemo. At the same time she took care of are new born daughter. The day after my daughter was born, I had to go into emergency surgery. She held the family together during that time. So ya, she is a great wife.

Also, did you see the 'man cave' above

Gratz on the feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Starting a Little Late - 9/3/2010

Sorry that I didn't post anything up yesterday. I was planning on working on the computer case, put something else happen. One of my childhood dreams was owning a Dodge Muscle car with a HEMI. I really like the Challenger design. When I was 17, I was going to buy a nice Dodge Demon, but my parents screwed me at the last minute. Anyways, my wife knows that this is one of my dreams and she gave me the 'OK' to buy one of the new Dodge Challenger SRT8. So I spent Thursday cleaning up my car to sell it. Also had to get news tires and post it o Craig's List. Tomorrow morning, I am going to test drive a 09 Challenger. I cannot wait. Finally going to complete one of my childhood dreams.

Today I did get some work done on the case. The base didn't have enough space to run the tubing. So I got the router out and made some space. I cut out some of the top case for the room. First I drew some line out, then made the cuts.

Then I moved on to everyone's favorite, sanding.

I got the cut brass pieces in today. I couldn't resist putting the top on to see how it would look.

With the brass pieces in, I had to start moving on the electro-sketch. So with the new printer. I printed out the some Egyptian hieroglyphics. After the transfer I soaked it in hot water and it came right off.

Now it is the mad scientist part. I made a bath of copper sulfate. Then connected two pieces of brass to some wire. The wire will be used to connect to the battery and hold the piece in the bath. I put the working piece on the positive terminal, while I had another piece of brass connected to the negative terminal.

Can see the crud build up on the normal piece of brass. The brass does look like it got etched. You cannot tell by the picture. After I got the piece clean and all the toner off, I sprayed it with some black spray paint. Then I am going to sand it down tomorrow. Hopefully the black will highlight the hieroglyphics. Will have to wait until tomorrow to see what it looks like.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Nice! Oh, and congrats on the car! Too often, people never get to realize their dreams; I'm glad you're able to achieve one of yours.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Nice! Oh, and congrats on the car! Too often, people never get to realize their dreams; I'm glad you're able to achieve one of yours.
    Thanks, I got to test drive the car today, and it was a blast. I just need to sell my car soon.

Learning the Art of Etching - 9/4/2010

I got to test drive the 09 Dodge Challenger SRT8 today and it was an awesome car. It is big and heavy, but I knew that going into the test drive. I really like the car, and it has the best styling of the three modern muscle cars. I am going to test drive a 07 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 on Monday for comparison. Just need to get my EVO sold. Here are some pics of the car.

I am still tweaking the etching process. The fist test didn't etch far enough into the metal. I was using bare wire to hold the piece of brass in the bath, and it was etching the wire. I switched over to a cover wire now and it works well. Here is a picture of the first experiment I did yesterday after some sanding.

You can see the details of the hieroglyphics, but I needed more etching. Now with the wire problem fixed, I moved on to the second experiment. I tried a simpler graphic for this one. I think I am using to much heat when transferring the toner. I am getting spotty transfer, which lead to a distortion. Can see the process in pictures below.

I got some brass foil on the adding plate during the etching process. It just peeled off, and looked cool.

Doors and Etching - 9/12/2010

I got the doors cut out for the project. Took awhile to make everything square, but got it done with a file. It going to be a nice touch to the case. To see what the doors are going to look like, I set up the brass plates.

I think I finally got the etching down. I had to change some setting with the printer to get more toner on the paper. Also I added in more pressure during the transfer of the toner from the paper to the metal. It seems to helped out a lot. Here are some pics of the process. Also can see the new versus the old way in the last picture.

I thought about doing stamped concrete for the temple and the base. One of my daughter's play-do toys had a nice stone pattern that would be great for the temple. I got out the Dremel and started cutting. Then I had to use a file to get the it clean. It started to become a pain and thought there has to be an easier way. After doing some research, I found that model train builders had brick and stone pattern panels for their models. Some of the patterns would work great for the temple and base. So I am going to switch over to model panels for the case. It will be a lot easier, and probable look better. Here are some pictures of the work that I did on cutting the stamp out.

I got one of two liquid cooled power supplies for the build. It looks great, and a piece of art. Cannot wait to get this project done, and play some games.

I had to find some special screws for the fan and radiator set-up. It is hard to find long M3 screws. The screws that came with the fans are too long, and needed shorter ones. Here is a picture to compare the two screws.

Last shot of the day. I had to clean up my work area. It was getting to messy, but it is all clean now.