Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just did some file purging on the laptop....

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Default Re: Just did some file purging on the laptop....

Quote Originally Posted by Collinstheclown View Post
    Speaking of which, I need to reinstall Win7 sometime. Take it off RAID0 as I honestly don't see a performence increase...
    Really? I put mine on RAID0 and my Windows score jumped from 4.9 to 7.2 or thereabouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

5.9, dunno what it is without RAID. It takes a good bit long then it should in the POST loading the RAID software or whatever, just gonna remove it and get my second TB.

-CollinstheClown

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Collinstheclown View Post
    just gonna remove it and get my second TB.
    Oh, are you running RAID1? In that case, no, you won't see any performance difference.

On topic, I was cleaning my cousin's laptop last Thanksgiving, and CCleaner found I think around 15GB of stuff...horrifying, but that 100GB you got is just insane! That had to be mostly the work of those worms. Great idea really, hide stuff in the temporary internet files where people expect to see lots of random files that they don't know what they are.. I later ran Defraggler on my cousin's laptop, and...well, idk how long it actually took, but it ran solid for the 2 days I was there after I started it and judging from the progress it had made, it looked like it was going to take about a week.. ..needless to say, once all the cleanup was done it was like a completely different computer.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Oh, are you running RAID1? In that case, no, you won't see any performance difference.
    No, it's RAID0. I only did it because 1TB drives were on sale and I wanted the performance.

-CollinstheClown

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

I need to clarify... about 30gb of that was a few games, old programs and some junk left over from finished reviews and articles.

This sounds like something I need to try doing. My hard drive space seems to fluctuate way too much for me. It'll go free 30gb from down to 12gb and then recently I somehow ended up with no space free. Sometimes doing a disk cleanup tells me I have like, 60gb of temporary files, or some outrageous number like that, but getting rid of them never actually clears up that much space. I don't know what the hell it is going on with my computer, if it's some sort of massive memory dump thing going on or what. I should look into fixing it some day though...

Cant be as bad as what I found this week...

300gb of junk on a server.

We were constantly out of space, etc. Suddenly, the server admin and I found 280gb of files that were moved to a new server, and never removed from this one! Between that and dumping temps, we came up with just over 300gb.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro