Thread: I think I broke my motherboard

Default I think I broke my motherboard

I was given a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a broken LCD in return for fixing my cousin's ps3. I was planning on removing it from the case, and putting it into a 360 shell that I had from a previous adventure. While test fitting the bottom of the board may have come in contact with the metal cage of the 360. I saw sparks, but no smoke. The board will not power on. The power supply LED is green when plugged into the wall, but as soon as it's plugged into the motherboard the led turns off (it doesn't do this when plugged into my dell 1525 laptop). Is there any way to fix the board? If not, where do I go from here? I have 2 gigs of DIMM ram, a 160 GB Sata HDD, a dell DVD burner with a plug that I've only seen on dell laptops (although I do normally work with desktops) and a dual core AMD laptop processor. Is there an affordable motherboard that I could put these in? I'm looking for something small enough to fit in a 360 shell, micro ATX would work, but I'd be starting from scratch.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: I think I broke my motherboard

From your description, it sounds like your MBB is toast. Sorry.

What model is the CPU? If it's a Turion X2 (Socket S1), you might be able to find something over at logicsupply.com. I'm pretty sure that's the only dual-core AMD CPU that has a special mobile socket.

Also, could you get a picture of the plug on the ODD? The link you posted in the other thread didn't have a picture of it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy425425 View Post
    I saw sparks
    Yea, that sounds pretty toasty.
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

It is an S1 socket. I have no idea how to identify the CPU, but the socket on the motherboard has 'S1 socket' written on it. I'll put up a picture of the ODD after work.

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy425425 View Post
    sparks
    Perhaps you could salvage the board.

As a placemat.

can you get pictures front and back on the spot where it sparked.

a copper lead in the board may have been overloaded and blown, like a fuse, so you may be able to fix it.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

+1 attempt to salvage mobo

You'd be looking at component-level repair.

Cooked/broken PCB traces can often be fixed, looks a bit ghetto but it works. Traces sandwiched within multilayer boards aren't worth the effort.

Blown electrolytic caps are easy to spot and replace, sometimes with even higher V-rated caps if you know the circuit. Same goes for voltage regulator parts.

SMT passives (resistors, caps, diodes, etc) can be replaced. Hand soldering isn't impossible for most people ... but unless the parts are visibly identifiable (scorched) they can be a real bitch to detect, you'd have to systematically decode markings and test each part.

ICs can be more difficult (but not impossible) to test and (de)solder. Little things like glue logic and crystals aren't much hassle, but the large xBGA parts (like the main chipset) generally aren't worth the effort, assuming a pin-compatible replacement is even available. If you're lucky you'll be able to swap out a socketed part.

Try the easy stuff first -
    0) Questions ... do you suffer from the infamous Dell pseudo-ATX mismatch between your PSU and mobo? ... did you add/change any hardware before sparking? ... have you stripped the mobo down to only essential hardware before testing?
    1) Check mobo battery, 3V CR2032 ... maybe removing/installing/replacing it will mysteriously revive your mobo after the CMOS/NVRAM has cleared. Probably won't work, but a reasonable price to pay for the hope of salvaging the mobo.
    2) If possible, attempt BIOS firmware recovery using the floppy method; avoid problems by ensuring that you use the same or newer BIOS version if possible.
    3) Check if the mobo has any blown fuses. All mobos have onboard fuses (typically near the PSU connectors and/or VRM parts). A 15-cent part which failed (as it was designed to do) can often kill the mobo until replaced ... I used to see this a lot (pre-2005) when mobos were costly enough that people often paid for repair before replacement.
    4) Checkout the processor and RAM from this mobo in another one to tell if these parts are cooked; they might not work but can't possibly cause hardware damage. I'd be hesitant to plug this PSU into another mobo or another PSU into this mobo (before diagnosing the parts) ... it's possible that you could smoke the other PSU or mobo if you don't isolate whatever caused your first sparky failure.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.