Thread: More microcenter awesomeness.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default More microcenter awesomeness.

Ok, so as any of us who have been to a microcenter knows, they always have a bunch of cases on display that people can look at/handle/etc to get a feel for them before they buy. This is, btw, a completely awesome business practice, and the main reason why I will probably never buy a new case anywhere else. However, these cases eventually get taken down either because they're in really bad shape (from so many people messing with them) or because the line got replaced.

So, what happens to these cases you may ask? They get price-cut and put on sale. Now, when they put them on the display shelf they generally take off at least one body panel so that the insides can be easily seen, and unfortunately it seems that nobody ever thinks to keep those body panels around...so you wind up with a shelf somewhere with several old display-model cases on clearance, missing body panels, scratched up, and generally in pretty bad shape more often than not. This would not be so much a problem, except that they generally only mark them off ~20-30%...sorry, but I'm not gonna pay $100+ for a case in that shape... -_^

Now, on to the awesomeness mentioned in the title... Every now and then, some manager at microcenter will realize that nobody is buying these cases, and they'll have a great idea! Let's put those cases on the clearance rack! For anyone unfamiliar with the microcenter clearance rack, it slowly rotates an additional % off the marked clearance price (at least the one near me does). I've seen it anywhere from 0% to 90%...for the last couple weeks it's been at 80%, and today when I went in to get a new MBB, I discovered that they had just put 6 cases on the rack.

So, no pics yet because I'm at work and they're in my car outside, but I got (among some other random clearance stuff...):

Cooler Master CM690 (missing both panels, but otherwise in perfect condition as far as I can see) : $12 (normally $80)

Thermaltake Bach (missing U-panel and a pin for the ODD flap, but otherwise in good condition) : $20.80 (normally ~$100)

Cooler Master Cosmos RC-1000 (missing one body panel, top fascia, and front door, and a bit scratched up) : $30.40 (normally $200)

The Cosmos is going to become a long-term project for the power-server I'm eventually gonna build a ways down the road. Heck, $30 for just an E-ATX MBB tray is a good deal!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: More microcenter awesomeness.

nice! I wish I had more cash and the MC closest to me was closer than ~50 mins each way lol

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I just started working there and I can attest that people are really rough with cases that aren't theirs. Seriously just push the button to release the door, don't just rip it clean off!
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Pics!

CM690:

Bach:

Cosmos:

That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

any chance you could do some comparison shots of the cosmos and the 690? just for me to be able to visualise the size difference...
    Not dead yet

Heheh, here ya go. Now, keep in mind...the CM690 is not a small case. It's a full-fledged full-tower. ...but compared to the Cosmos...well, let's just say there's a reason for its name.

--Benjamin Franklin

^ + rep! i have the 690 and wanted to use the cosmos for my next one... its so huge!! lol... im already in love with it...
    Not dead yet

Heheh, me too. The rails are surprisingly useful too, both for carrying and moving on the floor (it slides on carpet beautifully. I've done a little looking around, and it looks like I can source a replacement side panel for just ~$30. ..granted, that's about what I paid for the whole thing that I have now, but still, $60 for a Cosmos RC-1000? Hells yeah! Plus, if I can find one second hand...
    --Benjamin Franklin