Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Stealthlow

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Project Stealthlow

Another tip for getting exact holes with small bits is to use a center-punch to mark the spot first. That makes a small, pointy depression that the bit can go into.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Thanks mate , I have got a center punch set but only use it when using a normal drill, the problem was the drill bit was bending when coming into contact with the aluminium so all what was needed was to put the drill bit in as far as I could so only a bit of the drill was poking out & it's hitting the target perfect consistently now .

My sleep pattern is a mess & not been making much progress the past few days so I'm staying up all night & day to fix this & I'll use the time to make some good progress so I hope to have a real update tomorrow night .

OK I stayed up all night so I could make some progress & managed to make some woo hoo .

Filed a bevel on each of the fan holder pieces that come into contact with the fan blades because of having to slim the fan frames down by 0.5mm, these pieces still need a good bit of filing & sanding on them, then sticking together.

Then slimmed down all the bars to precise size & done another mock fit.

Then added the angle bars to the 2nd hdd cage so the hdd cages have turned out quite acceptable to be honest.

Marked up the bottom panel & 2nd panel for fixing the square bars to the 2nd panel, but first I tried doing the tapping with power drill thinking I've done it before & was ok, well the tap snapped first try lol, had to cut another piece & get it to precise size, switched to doing the tapping manual & very careful, did ok for 2 of them, then another one snapped, cheap taps, then another, then went to try a new tap & found it was the wrong pitch size so the screws didn't screw all the way in properly lol, so I'm left with a 2 legged panel until I can get a new tap which I just ordered a few, cheap taps again because they were the only ebay seller that offered express delivery, it's the only sure way to get deliveries on ebay at this time of year.

The ones I tapped successfully are very good, solid & perfectly in place wooooo .

So not much done but any progress is progress + I'll have my sleep pattern fixed after today even if it is temporary .

Just ordered a couple of milling bits, 1 for doing small cutouts & 1 so I can use nut rivets with a flange mounted flush no I don't have a mill, just a drill press, there was 1 more thing I was completely unsure about how to do, the bar slots for the fan mounts on the motherboard tray, so I'll be sure to get some practice in on doing what I want to do before actually doing it .
    It's a far fetched idea milling on a drill press but it might work I guess people who do milling will probably say nooooo idiot but I enjoy a bit of trial & error .

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

this is quality fabrication this is the stuff that i love
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR View Post
    this is quality fabrication this is the stuff that i love
    Thanks mate, glad you like .

Got the fan holder pieces all stuck together & is a very very strong bond & since they are all together now I decided I'm going to make it so I can slip any standard 120mm fan in these holders as originally intended, none of this sanding down a fan frame nonsense, imagine the hassle of a simple fan change lol, also they all need a hefty sanding session to make them all blend together, unsure if I'll go for a polished finish or frosted finish.

Also I took over my desk fan to waft the nasty fumes well away from me this time, only problem with using a fan in below 0c temperatures is my hands were getting frozen lol, but thats way better than feeling awful from fumes .

I'm thinking enermax apolish fans would look amazing in these holders especially if I frost the edges & would also serve as the power light so if I use a vandal switch which is highly likely because I just really like them I could use the LED bit as hdd activity, not bothering with reset switches anymore & for power light I'll just use case lighting from now & onwards .

My bro would like some quiet case fans so I think I'll give him the 3 sanded fans for christmas hehe .

Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    Just ordered a couple of milling bits, 1 for doing small cutouts & 1 so I can use nut rivets with a flange mounted flush no I don't have a mill, just a drill press, there was 1 more thing I was completely unsure about how to do, the bar slots for the fan mounts on the motherboard tray, so I'll be sure to get some practice in on doing what I want to do before actually doing it .
    It's a far fetched idea milling on a drill press but it might work I guess people who do milling will probably say nooooo idiot but I enjoy a bit of trial & error .
    This may help you a lot...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
    Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne

Looks a good idea for small panels & bars but not the big motherboard tray panel that I'll be working on, I have some experimenting to do with the milling bits before I have a go on an actual piece for this project.

Thanks for pointing out such a tool though BS, really does seem worth considering for working on bars +rep.

Can't seem to find 1 in uk, shipping was sky high from usa naturally for a heavy item.

Awesome, the new taps came today & I didn't waste no time turning the 2 legged plate into the foundation base, so that's the first & second level fully attached & 2 of the square bars for the hdd platform, this is really starting to feel like good progress.

Done a couple of dummy fixes to show the hdd cages how they will be once fixed & with the front/top flat bars & front low piece loosely fitted, just couldn't be bothered doing more in the freeze today I'd end up naturally getting a cold .

Think I'll finish these off tomorrow.

Ahhh, got past a fiddly time consuming bit, the hdd cage mount clamps & still managing to avoid adhesives completely except for the acrylic adhesive, all the metal work so far has been countersunk bolts & tapping , finished this bit at 11pm & was a rather chilly -5c.

What you are seeing is 4mm sheet, then 19mm square bar, hdd cages inbetween slim 3mm pieces & another 3mm piece on top that overlaps the hdd cage base & meets up with the angle bar of the cage, it's such a good fit that I might leave the extra clamp I was going to make for the front & back of the cages as it takes a little force to make the cages slide out.