Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kinda a weird question...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Kinda a weird question...

So, as some of you may know, I recently bought a house. One of the odd little quirks about this house is that the previous owners moved out in quite a hurry...and apparently couldn't be bothered to finish packing. SO, there was a bunch of random stuff sitting around. Not enough that it was a problem, and some was useful, so I think more good than bad.

Anyways, one of the things that was left was a crapton of Ensure and Slimfast. I know this might be a long shot, but does anyone know how long after the expiration date those are still good? I'm trying to decide if they're worth trying to sell or if I should just trash them.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Default Re: Kinda a weird question...

"For canned goods, the University of Minnesota suggests storing cans below 75 degrees F and tossing them after a year, even though most manufacturers state that canned goods remain OK to eat for 2 years in the cupboard. After a year, canned foods lose most of their nutritional value, but so long as the can has not bowed or rusted, can still be consumed safely. This includes soups and canned fruits."

Taken from http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...pg2.html?cat=5

I've seen people try to drink the stuff when it was about 3-4 months past the date, and they've all said it gets nasty-tasting. Apparently, while it might still be safe, the taste is affected over time. Another thing to consider is if people see it's past the date, they may not want to try it even if studies say it's okay. Personally, I'd throw the stuff out rather than try to sell it.

I've eaten stuff up to 2 years out of date. Tasted fine and I'm still alive. But nobody will buy it.

If they are truly past their expiration date, the the other issue you would have by selling them is the liability. If someone consumed one and got sick, technically they could hold you responsible for selling them an expired food item. Apparently in this day and age no one really needs to assume personal responsibilities such as reading the labels and dealing with the choices they make. ok .. end rant.. I guess you could also donate them to a food shelter and let them make the determination if you are opposed to just trashing them.

Liability could definitely be an issue.

I'm not sure about donating them. I know that group homes aren't allowed to use expired foods but I'm not sure if it applies to homeless shelters and food shelters. You could always call them and ask.

I'm not sure homeless people need weight loss products

Hmm, I hadn't thought of the liability issue..definitely a concern. For context, from what I've looked at there appears to be three batches with expiration dates in September 2009, April 2010, and May 2010.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

I'd say those are too old to try to sell.

Yeah, you're probably right... ...anyone know of anything fun to do with expired weight loss drinks?
    --Benjamin Franklin

I bet you could make them explode.