Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Turning my 1982 Porsche 911 SC Targa to "the one i always wanted"

Default Re: Turning my 1982 Porsche 911 SC Targa to "the one i always wanted"

AC delete? My kinda guy! I'm really on the fence about keeping the AC in my truck. Figure I'll hook it up, and if it ever springs a leak I'll rip it out...
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Someone on one of the 911 forums told me today that the A/C weighs in at 108lbs total in these cars. After having to lift the compressor, and seeing the entire system in a diagram I can believe it. Nice weight reduction, worth it IMO.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CorsePerVita View Post
    Someone on one of the 911 forums told me today that the A/C weighs in at 108lbs total in these cars.
    Wow, maybe it would be worth it to look into pulling out my compressor. (It killed itself about a year ago and would cost more than the car is worth to replace, so it's just bypassed now...besides, I didn't use A/C anyway.)
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Someone on one of the 911 forums told me today that the A/C weighs in at 108lbs total in these cars. After having to lift the compressor, and seeing the entire system in a diagram I can believe it. Nice weight reduction, worth it IMO.
    I can see it if you're going to use it as an occasional track/autocross car. Personally that would be the only way I'd delete ac. It may only be used for a couple of months around but having cars without ac suck like h@#* when it's hot. But yes if performance is more important lighter is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

I'm not worried about A/C to be honest. I'll likely box it and store it should I ever wish to revert. But during the summer either the Targa top comes off my car, or the windows get rolled down. Rarely does it get hot enough for me to justify bothering with A/C. My 914 doesn't have A/C and I do fine with the top off. Our ZX2 has A/C and my wife loves it, but I never used A/C at all. I guess I just don't like it lol.

Less weight! More performance. I dig.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

If it gets too hot, roll the windows down. If it's still too hot, you're not going fast enough!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

The top comes off too!

I'm not worried about A/C to be honest. I'll likely box it and store it should I ever wish to revert. But during the summer either the Targa top comes off my car, or the windows get rolled down. Rarely does it get hot enough for me to justify bothering with A/C. My 914 doesn't have A/C and I do fine with the top off. Our ZX2 has A/C and my wife loves it, but I never used A/C at all. I guess I just don't like it lol.

Less weight! More performance. I dig.
    Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    If it gets too hot, roll the windows down. If it's still too hot, you're not going fast enough!
    Sounds about right. Between the compressor, metal lines, evaporator, condenser. Adds up. Can't help but wonder if they count parts that are shared with the heater though. Like the blower, and such.

Can't forget the power loss when the compressor is engaged.

2/40 is how I roll!
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

A/C is g-g-g-g-g-one! I still have a few hoses and pieces to remove but there is a whole lot more room to work on the car now in the engine bay. Few brackets to remove and it'll be back to "normal" in my book. Less weight is a happier car IMO.

Got a huge list of parts reserved from a place I regularly buy parts from. Entire list will be posted soon. Likely ordering at end of month. Going through the under side of the car this weekend to see what all I need to add so I can just order it all in one big swoop.

A few things on the list...

- Clutch
    - Pressure Plate
    - Flywheel bolts
    - Throwout bearing
    - Pressure Plate bolts
    - Sport mounts for the engine
    - Tuneup kit (cap/rotor/plugs/wires)
    - Main seal
    - Valve covers
    - Valve adjustment feeler
    - More heater hoses
    - Suspension Bushings
    - Rest of the wheel bearings/seals/o-rings
    - Pilot bearing
    - S-Oil line
    - Main return oil line to engine

Already bought:

- 3 quarts of swepco 201 which had better me partially made out of unicorn blood at $15 per quart...
    - More Brad Penn oil
    - More wiring ends, more wire of various gauges to go through the rest of the under dash area
    - SS Nuts Bolts in 10mm and 13mm socket sizes to replace the old and otherwise nasty/rusted bolts throughout the car
    - More resin and hardener for the last bit of CF I have so I can make parts that I want for it.
    - High Heat resistance updated hoses for the main flaps and heater box so I can rid the leaks and get it back to "normal".... and last for freaking ever.

During the process of A/C removal I had NO HEAT because one of the main hoses from the blower motor was completely removed since it wouldn't fit under the stock A/C bracket as the updated hoses were intended for the cars WITHOUT A/C. So I updated to the larger diameter hoses.

I still have plans to take apart the blower motor and box in both the engine bay area and in the smugglers compartment and refreshing them so there is less drag on the system from all the dust and gunk buildup in the years. Besides, it would be good to clean it out so it's healthier for me and my passengers anyway.

Don't forget to weigh all the AC junk when you're done!

Might want to pick up some anti seize for the stainless hardware. Only reason I hate working with stainless hardware.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10