Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm going to get my feet wet...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: I'm going to get my feet wet...

Quote Originally Posted by Linias View Post
    I would rather hear the soft gurggling of water over the loud din of a fan.
    In a well designed, well bled, water loop, there shouldn't be any gurgling.

The only reason you ever really need two pumps is if you have two loops. For loop arrangement, the best arrangement is pump->waterblock(s)->radiator(s)->reservoir(s)->pump.

For pump quality, the best you can get for DC pumps are the Laing models. The Swiftech MCP355 is just a rebranded Laing DDC-12, and the Swiftech MCP655 is just a rebranded Laing D5. So, sometimes you can get a rebrand cheaper than the original. However, if you do buy a rebranded Laing, make sure you know what version you are getting. The later versions of the Laing pumps push more volume and make less noise, but often the rebrands are working with older versions. So, there is sometimes a good reason why the original is more expensive.

Personally I like to water cool the NB/SB/etc, but it's not really necessary most of the time.

As someone else mentioned, with GPU's the best route is to use full-coverage waterblocks..unfortunately, that is also the most expensive route. Expect to spend a good $100-150 for a good full-coverage waterblock.

The biggest benefit of reservoirs is to provide a fluid buffer, which is most important while filling the loop and letting it bleed the air bubbles out of the system. They also make filling the loop much easier.

For the radiator(s), for your use, I would recommend the Black Ice SR-1 series. They're optimized for maximum thermal transfer with low-flow (read: quite) fans. It looks like you should be able to fit a 2x120, 2x140, or possibly 3x120 (with some case modification) in the top of the Dragon Rider. If you put your HDD(s) in the 5.35" bays, you could pull out the 3.5" racks and open up enough space for a single 120 or 140 rad. Like most cases, it looks like you probably would not be able to fit a rad in the case at the back fan location, but you could definitely put one on the outside, like I have on Zeus.

One other thing; especially since you're shooting for a silent system, don't be afraid to spend money on fans. It seems a bit ridiculous, but my setup when I had all three rads in it was the quietest system I had ever had, and yet had more fans than I had ever had in a single system before as well (8 120's and 6 140's). That is in no small part due to the fans that I put in it...fans that it freaks me out a bit to say, I spent about $170 on in total. For 120mm fans, I would go with the Xigmatec's that were reviewed on the frontpage a while back. They have the best CFM/dBA ratio I've ever seen for 120mm fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    IMO and most, water cooling ram is the biggest waste of money
    You forgot about HDD water cooling.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

lol... for gfx, I would go for a high end card, like a 570, or 6970, as block makers concentrate on these cards first, i know some people may argue with this, but for nvidia cards, buy from evga if you intend to watercool, as they use refrence blocks, and still cover you under warranty, xfx is the same deal for ATI cards, although they have been messing with reference PCB's on some of their lower end cards. I can vouch for the xigmateck fans too, i have 4 of them in my system and they are quieter than my hard drives at ~80% (i use a fan speed controller) and the 1 non xigmateck fan could be heard above the 4 at the same speed. lol.
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by Linias View Post
    Yeah, I have been looking at some of those. Only concern is quality of the pump.

Regarding Dual / Single: Do I need a dual? Or is running Single in serial better? Better to do Pump->CPU->Rad->GPU->Rad->Res or better to have 2 going Pump->CPU->Rad->Res and Pump->GPU->Rad->Res?

Like that one. Not out for 2 weeks, but than again my mobo probably wont be either. So maybe dual loops with differnt colors in each res / loop?
    any of the swiftech pumps are very high quality and the best selling pumps/most widely used. and again any of the XSPC, current koolance res's, and bits power are all great products.

dual and single loops are up to you and how you want it to look really. but for what your running single is plenty fine. main thing is having enough rad space to cool it all.

loop order makes no difference, route the tubing so it's as short as possible without having sharp turns or kinks in the tubing. so res>pump>rad(s)>block(s) is my normal routing, otherwise change it how ever pending the location of parts in your case. just put the res before the pump.

i strongly recommend not using any dye's in your loop as they have a tendency to break down and clog various parts in your loop. they also can stain the tubing. the best coolant currently is Distilled water and a biocide like .999 silver (can be plated fittings or silver strips, or kill coils) or PT nuke PHN.

if your after colouring use coloured tubing or lighting.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post

great loop, though i would opt for a better cpu block, eg Swiftech XT, EK supreme HF (non-nickel finish due to all the issues going on with ek), koolance 360, XSPC Rasa. DD while a great company seems to have fallen behind on the cpu block. not to say that won't work, there are just better ones out for the same cost or more.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

This kit is working great for me, and wouldn't be a bad starting point. It would get the basics out of the way, and you would just need to pick a GPU block.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

The same can be said for this kit for me.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Fresh Paint

thank you all for the great replies!!!