Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA Speaker Mod

How Big's Your Mouth?! gaz_the_chav's Avatar

Default PA Speaker Mod

Well I can't say that this is my first post here lol but here we go again!

My idea? Well to basically put neons inside my huge 1000W PA Cabs. So I took the mesh of the front and realized it wouldn't be as easy as I wanted plus there is one more catch - I don't want to cut one hole in the cabs.

Right to start here is a picture of the top of the cabs (the neons are going at the top and they are the outside two speakers!):

Here is the top of the cab with the mesh removed where the neon strip should hopefully sit nicely above the tweeters:

So I put the neon up against the top where it did fit reasonably nicely. So here is the first problem of the day - where should the wire go so it is out of the way and so you cannot see it? With no holes I thought 'Oh dear this really is not going to work' until I used my brain and thought 'why not take the tweeter out, trail the wire behind there and put the tweeter back in?' So I did and I fitted nice and snug. The tape on the left hand side is temporary to hold the neon in place:

My next problem which I am still looking for an answer on is how to hold the left hand side of the neon up? Currently it is neatly held up by insulation tape which I want to change. Remember I can't add another screw in the cab! So once that was held up nicely, I have to take the mid range driver out to pull the wires right the way through the speakers. You can see in the next pictures the wires going through the speaker:

After this I managed to pull the wires out of the back panel which I removed. You can see in this picture the wires coming through:

And then in this picture the back panel screwed back on. Now my originally idea was to leave the wires hanging out of the back like in the picture until I got another idea.

Now because these cabs are on the end of a chain, I don't use the end speakon connection and lets face it that switch looks damn messy! So I removed carefully the speakon connection and left it inside the speaker non-visible. Next I tested the switch for size and with the circle thing it comes with it fitted perfectly! So here is a picture of the back panel now with only the power wire coming out the side which I don't mind:

Next is just a matter of testing the neon and putting the front mesh back on. As you can see from the next few pictures, the mesh fitted lovely!

Overall I am pleased because it does look at lot better than what the picture shows.

So now that I have finished one speaker I have the other one to do and the amp with a respray on the mesh's and amp!

Stay tuned for more!

-gaz

Default Re: PA Speaker Mod

Kewl!i! Talk about some speakers Dammmnn.. are you in a band or something?

No I just do alot of parties lol!

More soon.

-gaz

So I decided I wasn't happy with the power cable like that as I could not remove it or anything so heres what I did.

To start I wasn't happy with the power cable like this:

So I decided I would use molex connections. I started by using my dremel to cut a hole the perfect size (I hoped plus I know I wasn't cutting holes but oh well!):

Then I tried putting the molex in and what a perfect fit!

So I connected the wires and made a new adapter after gluing the molex in place and perfect. So then I reattached the back plate and lovely no wires, no mess!

Lovely!

More to come on this!

-gaz

Hmm...pretty cool. How come I don't get invited to your parties man? I thought we were mates! :'(

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Hmm...pretty cool. How come I don't get invited to your parties man? I thought we were mates! :'(

-Dave
    Do you really fancy like a 300 mile drive? if so be my guest lol seriously you can come if u wanna make the drive!

-gaz

im only about 100 miles away, i never get invited either!!!!!!

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Austral Alien

I'm only in Australia and I never get invited either!

Back on topic, nice looking job there Gaz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I have to ask, what does this have to do with computer modding?
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

he's using a molex plug????? its from a computer, is it not. j/kj j/k

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!