Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dave's Christmas Tale [aka TIP-3000 Revival]

Default Dave's Christmas Tale [aka TIP-3000 Revival]

Hello all, and welcome to my Christmas tale. This is a tale of underdog triumph, with chuck-key's and darkness, gremlins and dremels. I hope you enjoy my tale of woe and happiness; for it is my Christmas present to the TBCS community! (as if the new skin wasn't enough!)

It all started on a short winter's day. As the days grow colder, the night grows longer. The days bite into your skin through even a Scot's heavy attire. Large yellow machines spread grit on your car to prevent you from slipping, and cause mayhem in the process as people swerve across the road to avoid them. the sunlight bathes our homes for less and less as time goes on, culminating in the shortest day of the year just before Christmas itself-the 22nd of December, the birthday of this fine and handsome narrator.

But this 22nd of December is a different story indeed, because this 22nd your omnipotent narrator's birthday is on a Saturday. As people flock from all around the world, even as far as Prestwick, to revel in his generosity and to take advantage of his offer of free beer. Although many have offered the idea that I, your loving narrator, have always existed, I can reveal that this is not so. Yes, in a few days time, I will be 21 years of age!

My father's gift was one of full highland dress, which I resolved to wear upon my birthday. Wanting everyone to look nice, I even spent money buying a lovely dress and jewellery for my fine girlfriend. Everyone is happy!

...Or are they?

Yes, as is often the case there is someone who is not happy with this situation. The long months have taken their toll on my beloved computer, the TIP-3000. After a myriad accidents she lies, forlorn and lonely. Filled with dust, her fans screech for air, her twin hard drives Samsung and Seagate baying for cool air. Her door, once a novel attraction of the case, has been torn from her hinges. The dials, knocked out. The paint, chipped.

No, the years have taken their toll on this TIP-3000.

"Why must it be so?" I cried in anger. "Why must the TIP-3000, which has won me so much in good reputation and hardware prizes, be left to rot in such a manner? Surely my creation deserves better!"

The TIP-3000 has won me competitions, and the hardware has been sitting around, doing nothing. A new Core2 Duo sits nearby, tempting her. It doesn't seem fair. But your narrator is a busy being; he has work, and much more besides, to worry about. So the TIP-3000 sits along, waiting for the day when her dreams will come true; a day when the creator, her master, will come remember her.

The TIP-3000 loves her master very much, and she knows when he gets a chance, he's going to fix those lousy hinges, he's going to fix that chipped paint. He's going to get those hinges working, and clean out all that dust, and he's going to make me look like a star!

Well, that day has come. TIP-3000, I will have you looking spectacular for Saturday. When all the other geeks are here, they will be in awe of your beauty. I wish I had time to fix all the problems you suffer from; that cracked rail brings a tear to my eye whenever I see it. There is, after all, only so much I can do before you are no longer the TIP-3000.

I started by removing the door, and removing everything attached to it. Thrusting my hand out, I grabbed a flat-headed screwdriver; just the tool for the job at hand. Placing against the edge of the old hinges, I brought down my hammer with a crash, sending the old unwanted hinges across the room in a cloud of shattered bondo. With the door free, and the hinges removed, I turned my attention to undoing the damage.

Taking a bowl of fresh water, I searched for some unused wet-paper. With that in hand, I gently massaged the remaining bondo away from the door. Taking this opportunity, I rub all over the door, smoothing out the imperfections left from so long ago. Soon, she's dirty and smooth, needing only some warm water to clean her up. With a toothbrush and towel, I clean every inch of her facade, leaving it to dry.

What will happen next in this Christmas tale? Will I forget about the TIP-3000? Will her dreams come true? Will her hardware arrive on time? Will she rejoice in Vista or XP? Join me tomorrow to find out, my eager listeners, on Dave's Christmas Tale!
    Last edited by DaveW; 12-18-2007 at 02:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Default Re: Dave's Christmas Tale [aka TIP-3000 Revival]

Oh noes!!! The TIP-3000 has gone to shambles! It's like Britney Spears! Once beautiful and loved, now lonely and dusty!

This is awesome, I can't wait to see this come back to life. This was seriously one of my favorite worklogs on here, and I'm glad it's back.
    RIP Bucko

Never! TIP-3000 is the David to time's Goliath! All hail fem-puter...I mean, all hail TIP-3000.2
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Wow, creative writing. Only 20? I imagine your in collage, being able to write like that.

Can't wait for tomorrow.
    +Subscription
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

TIP-3000 was THE mod that inspired me to start modding. Yes there were others that were great and awesome, but none pushed me to actually try my hand at it. My original concept for the mod was a tribute to TIP-3000 in many ways. But, my methods changed, and so did the concept for the mod.

Can't wait to see her back in tip top shape. It saddens me to see her in that condition.

+Rep for a great mod. I never got around to doing that once I joined back then.Thanks for getting me to actually try my hand at modding.

Wow how could it get destroyed like that? Excuse me, i meant how did she get destroyed like that?

How are you gonna fit that cycle rim on your case

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    TIP-3000 was THE mod that inspired me to start modding. Yes there were others that were great and awesome, but none pushed me to actually try my hand at it. My original concept for the mod was a tribute to TIP-3000 in many ways. But, my methods changed, and so did the concept for the mod.

Can't wait to see her back in tip top shape. It saddens me to see her in that condition.

+Rep for a great mod. I never got around to doing that once I joined back then.Thanks for getting me to actually try my hand at modding.
    I agree, I don't think Dave gives himself enough credit for this project (even if it's under the weather at the moment). I was a regular member when he started it and we had talked about what he was going to do and tossed around design ideas and then I dropped off the map for about six months. When I stopped back in the first thing I saw were his completed pics and my jaw dropped. Beautiful!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

It was an awesome mod. Like I said, it was the one mod that got me to mod. Actually, it was the reason I clicked the register button on the forum too.

It was just my style of mod, and I only wish I could ever make a mod that looked as good as it.

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    It was an awesome mod. Like I said, it was the one mod that got me to mod. Actually, it was the reason I clicked the register button on the forum too.

It was just my style of mod, and I only wish I could ever make a mod that looked as good as it.
    DONT CALL THE TIP 3000 BY THE NAME "IT"! THATS DISRESPECTFUL!!