Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anime/Manga

Default Anime/Manga

I found that netflix has gained a pretty good amount of anime available for streaming now. I was wondering what your favorites where, anime or manga.

My anime's are
    Tri Gun, Full Metal Alchemest, Bleach, Hellsing, and some pokemon.

My manga's are Naruto, Bleach, Ruroni Kenshin, Buso renkin, Negima, and a few others in those veins.

My only complaint is that a few of the netflix shows are subbed, not dubbed. while i dont mind subs, i would prefer to watch dubbed shows. lol...

I thought i'd start this thread to see who else liked manga, and animes.
    Last edited by slaveofconvention; 05-04-2011 at 03:59 PM.
    Not dead yet

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: Anime/Mange

robotech (macross/ southern cross/ genisis climber mospeada), starblazers (space battle ship yamato), megazone 23, akira, old school transformers, g-force (gatchaman), fist of the north star, urotsukidoji, bubblegum crisis, tank police.

that's the main ones.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Anime/Manga

I used to be huge into anime and manga back in college, but unfortunately have waned off in the last couple years. Largely, I think, because I haven't found a community where I can talk about them with my peers. Most of the anime forums I've found are primarily stocked with highschoolers...not that there's anything necessarily wrong with highschoolers, but if I want to, say, discuss the philosophical and ethical questions raised through the character development in Elfen Lied....well, let's just say I probably wouldn't be able to get the discussion I was looking for... I really do miss the anime club that I was in in college.

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    My only complaint is that a few of the netflix shows are subbed, not dubbed. while i dont mind subs, i would prefer to watch dubbed shows. lol...
    I'm actually the other way around. Depending on the show, it might just be because they haven't done english dubs yet. In the last few years a couple studios/distributors have started doing worldwide (well, at least english...and at least US) simultaneous releases, but the non-Japanese releases are subs (because that costs way less and takes the teams they hire about an hour to do instead of the months and many thousands of dollars that a good dub would take). Usually dubs aren't done until they do a DVD/BD release...and even then maybe not at first. When Bandai first released Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann on DVD in the US, it only had subs. TBH, I haven't looked at Netflix's anime offerings much, but I know on Hulu they often offer both subs and dubs. Also, check out Crunchyroll. If you were around and had heard of it ~4-5 years ago, you probably have a really bad image in your mind, but it's gone through some major changes since then. Now, think of it more along the lines of Hulu for anime (instead of youtube for anime ). IIRC, they have everything available to free members, but you have to put up with ads and some new episodes you have to wait for a week (ie, the same release schedule as Hulu). Premium members have no ads and get all new episodes as soon as they're available from the distributor.

Let's see, for favorites, I think.. (in no particular order except the order they came to mind)

Anime:
    Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon (and Second Barrage, ie, the second season), Code Geass (and R2, ie, the second season), Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Trigun, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Death Note, Full Metal Panic!, Berserk (even if it did get cut off in the middle of a story arc), Cat Soup (You want trippy? I got trippy!), Mushishi, Honey & Clover, Rideback, Nodame Cantabile, Last Exile, Elfin Lied, Claymore, Air Gear (even if they did stop right after the start of a story arc)

Manga/Manhwa: [EDIT]For those unfamiliar with the terms, Manga is Japanese origin stuff, Manhwa is Korean origin stuff.[/EDIT]
    Hellsing, Berserk, Blade of the Immortal, Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Deeper Kyo, King of Hell, Scryed, Air Gear (got really weird about 2 years ago (Japanese release schedule) though, and I stopped keeping up with it), Trigun, Claymore, Bleach, Naruto (I finally got sick of the filler in Bleach and Naruto and stopped keeping up with the anime, but I still follow the manga)

Incidentally, diluzio, if you were referring to the original Hellsing anime, you must check out the Hellsing Manga and the Hellsing Ultimate series. Basically, Kouta Hirano made an amazing manga series (albeit very slowly...it took him ~10.5 years to do 10 volumes). Then, after the third volume was released, an anime studio decided it would make a great anime series....and they did ok up until the point that they ran out of material that Hirano had written. So, in such a situation, anime studios normally take one of three routes: 1) delay until the Mangaka writes the material for the next release (fairly rare, largely because it risks the public losing interest in the series), 2) make up filler to keep the series going until there is enough manga written to run for a while until they run out again (keeps the public eye on the series, even if half of them are complaining that it's in filler...the worst case of this that I know of is Naruto), or 3) say "F*** it, let's just make some sh** up, throw that in there, and end the series." ...unfortunately, in this case, the studio chose the third option. Jump ahead five years to 2006, and they decided to take another crack at it. For once, they learned from past mistakes, and chose to take the more financially risky route #1. Fortunately for them, by this time the manga series was so popular that there was no problem at all holding the public's attention. And thus was started the Hellsing Ultimate OVA series. They are doing one 'episode' (not really an episode since they're released so slowly and are each about 45 minutes long) per manga volume, and holding very close to the source material.

EDIT:
    Remembered this right after I hit the 'submit' button.. Here's pictures and break-downs of my book and DVD/BD shelves....just so you can see the proportions.

That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I am Jack's smirking revenge. 985323's Avatar

I love anime and manga, My collection is small but it grows yearly. i will admit I have at least 400Gb of anime on my hdd, I am just now getting all of it on disk.
    Will

lol... I started collecting, but its an expensive hobby... lol... and im poor... so netflix has been good to me. i mainly watch anime while i work on other stuff. so dubs are better than subs for me... lol...
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    i mainly watch anime while i work on other stuff. so dubs are better than subs for me... lol...
    Yeah, that is one problem. I usually have some sort of movie, TV, anime, etc running on one of my monitors, but I almost always multi-task. I just find it hard to concentrate on just one thing for a long period of time.

I did used to have a very small physical collection and an incredibly large...shall we say, "digital", collection, but ever since I got a decent paying job, I've been slowly building my physical collection. Next step is building more shelves, now that I have space for them.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

I watched Dragonball Evolution (not for the first time) a few nights ago and it made me miss the old series. I remember when Cartoon Network used to show an entire storyline each sunday which was pretty cool but it was only ever DragonballZ. I never really saw any of the original Dragonball and wasn't there another one that was kind of after Z as well?

Pokemon is my guilty pleasure and I guess I have to thank the Japs for that one don't I I watch it when it's on and own most of the games. It's a perfect franchise for a packrat like me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Munty View Post
    I never really saw any of the original Dragonball and wasn't there another one that was kind of after Z as well?
    I never got around to watching the Dragonball anime, but I've read the manga. Personally I like it better than Z because there's less ridiculousness with the power levels. Dragonball GT is the one that comes after Z. It's a lot shorter ('only' 64 episodes) and a LOT worse. Seriously, it's just stupid the power escalations they get into. If you like Z, I would definitely Dragonball, but I would not recommend GT unless you want to run it in the background.

BTW, what I've read/seen:
    Dragonball: manga
    Dragonball Z: anime and manga
    Dragonball GT: anime

If you liked DBZ, you'll like this:
    DBZ in a nutshell by the voice of GIR.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Well that was certainly strange lol I can't help but feel it's missed a few of the plot twists... Not that there really are twists I guess, so mainly they just missed out the plot Wher can I watch Dragonball online? I fancy that for when I'm not gaming. Might even give me a reason to get back to modding and finish one of my projects before I die as I'm only running one comp so can work on stuff while I watch

I don't know of anywhere that has Dragonball streaming.. Funimation doesn't even have it available for DTO. Of course, it did run from '86-89...so I guess it's impressive that it's even available on DVD.

Oooh, I forgot about Samurai Champloo and Samurai 7. Both great series'.

..holy...and I can't believe I forgot...Fullmetal Alchemist!
    --Benjamin Franklin