Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Siezing?

Default Re: Computer Siezing?

thats my next step, thankfully, i still have that 775 board that i have for sale, and the p4... i jury rigged an amd hsf to the processor and im going to drop the gpu and ect into that board, if the stutter stops i guess i have to rma my mobo...
    Not dead yet

ATX Mental Case RogueOpportunist's Avatar

Have you tried any CPU specific tests like prime95? and is your CPU overclocked/overvolted at all? In your shoes I would suspect the CPU and power supply as being the most likely culprits... I would swap the PSU (assuming you have a spare) just to check it as faulty power can do all kinds of weird things to a system.

I checked the PSU, Swapped it with a corsair i pulled from the Pawnshop PC, no change, CPU is at stock, I did notice that my video card ram was overclocked slightly in precision, but its the fpb edition, so i think evga did that. I stocked it all though.
    Not dead yet

Sometimes it is a driver issue. Like the evga precision tool could be interfering with the drivers. Are you getting any sort of error or is it just like a random thing and the computer ignores it? with my ati drivers i get a freeze then black screen normal then 5 mins freeze drivers crash.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

well.... excuse me while i wipe the egg off my face, but i got the replacement hdd from western digital the other day, and when i opened my case to swap them out i realized...

While i had unplugged the faulty drive from the motherboard...
    i forgot to unplug it from the PSU...

and with that statement, the problem has stopped.... even with the most strenuous things i tried on it... so my best guess is that the bad drive was drawing stupid amounts of wattage because of it's inherent faultyness.... or something like that. Going on 2 days with no skips...
    Not dead yet

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Talking Re: Computer Siezing?

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    well.... excuse me while i wipe the egg off my face, but i got the replacement hdd from western digital the other day, and when i opened my case to swap them out i realized...

While i had unplugged the faulty drive from the motherboard...
    i forgot to unplug it from the PSU...

and with that statement, the problem has stopped.... even with the most strenuous things i tried on it... so my best guess is that the bad drive was drawing stupid amounts of wattage because of it's inherent faultyness.... or something like that. Going on 2 days with no skips...
    HaHa, i've done stuff of similar caliber before. Glad it's working!

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Glad you got it working again! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

i said screw it and ordered an 850 Watt corsair psu... i wish i could have nabbed that $40 one, but it was out of stock. the reason i suspect the PSU is that it gets very warm when the skipping starts. then if i turn the computer off for a while, then turn it back on when the psu is cool to the touch, then it works just fine.
    Not dead yet

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Not as bad as flipping an IDE cable.

Very easy to do :oops: (Well, it WAS...)
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

my computer is completely virus free... I kind of do IT work and know how to find viruses, and that was the first thing i checked... It was a bad hard drive (another one X_X) and i dont know when i'll get around to putting an rma in for it.
    Not dead yet