Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self Doubt . . .

Default Re: Self Doubt . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED View Post
    Oooooh...I have to ask what type of proof you used. Seems it would be a generalization of that controversial "diagonals" argument Cantor used for why there are uncountably many numbers between 0 and 1. Or did you use something a little less likely to induce rabid foaming at the mouth to strict logicians?
    That is pretty much exactly what I used, not for a lack of understanding of the controversy but, because that is exactly what the professor wanted. I honestly don't get to explore where my mind takes me on problems like this. Perhaps it is just my school, but it seems to me that CS professors idea of a proof is like grabbing a paint brush and waving it around wildly and calling it a day.

I often understand where the professor is trying to go, but the method of proof just whitewashes everything. His proofs involving structural induction are cringeworthy. I understand to actually prove some of these concepts would be beyond the scope of the course, but I point out that it is an oversimplification and he can not seem to see why. It's futile, so I keep my ideas to myself now, and just give the answers they want to hear.

If only some of the long proofs I had to do for some math courses could be condensed to a single statement the way CS professors do it and just put my justification as "because, . . . see".

If only I had known I was going to get really sick, not be able to spend a few years in the Shaolin temples, and my martial arts dreams and school crash around me. If I had known that, I would have 4.00'd high school instead of dicking around and just doing enough to get A-'s and actually applied to some of the school's I could have gotten into. Now I'm finally getting / being healthy and am stuck in a school where I am bored out of my freaking mind and just want to finish my degree and go. I just wish I could go back and choose a place that would actually challenge me instead of me getting "crappy" grades (read, non-4.00) because I can't be bothered with this tedium that doesn't even spark a single neuron. It sucks to outpace everyone around me while being a slacker and not caring, and know what I could be capable of if only I had someone/a school that challenged me. Every semester I try and be a perfect student, but fail after a couple weeks as this is boring me to freaking death. Eh, it's life I suppose. Could be worse. I just feel like I could have made some big contribution to the world but screwed it all up by wasting energy hating the world for so long for taking my passion away. If I hadn't been so focused on things I've lost, maybe I could have made a difference. It's not too late for anything, but it sure as heck feels that way.

/rant over.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

It's never too late to follow your dreams. All it takes is the willingness to sacrifice what is necessary to pursue them.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

when in doubt C4!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

C4? As in the explosive? Are you mad? It might cure self doubt... but it also cures living!
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    C4? As in the explosive? Are you mad? It might cure self doubt... but it also cures living!
    Only if used irresponsibly. Otherwise it cures boredom!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

mmmmm... skittles....
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post

mmmmm... skittles....
    that made me LOL

Skittles make my throat hurt by the end of the bag. That would only make me doubt my C-4 choice.

Lol.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    I wonder how they are going to do next Wednesday when we have another quiz on proving correctness of deterministic finite automata, and using the pumping lemma to show a language is non-regular.
    lol, I remember when I learned that in Discrete Mathematics II. The way my textbook and professor taught it was as if we were "fighting a demon" or something.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Good job, Blaze.
    I was just showing my comical side.
    Wasn't expecting THAT.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta