Thread: Photography

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Photography

Hey TBCS Crew long time no see.

Recently I have gotten really into photography!

I bought my self a Nikon D5100 with a twin lense kit. It is a nice camera. I was tossing up between it and the Cannon T3i(600D). The Nikon had a better sensor in it the same as the D7000. Also it has 11 af points.

I think I am going to have to take a course to learn how to use it properly as I have just being shooting in auto mode.

Here is my flickr account http://www.flickr.com/photos/simpearce/

If you have a flickr account post it up and pimp your skills!
    Need a sig

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Default Re: Photography

remember

a good photographist can take steller shots just as well with a 100$ wal mart camera as they can a 1,000$ nikon.

case in point, took these photos with a 120$ Fuji A805

The 600$ telescope helped a little bit though...

Bout to say twigs. Pretty sure Fuji doesn't have the Megapixels to show detailed moon craters!

It's all about the zoom. My $200 Sony took these. No additional lenses, not hooked up to a telescope. Just mounted on a tripod. that said, I'm seriously jealous of the Nikon. I've been wanting a DSLR for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    It's all about the zoom. My $200 Sony took these. No additional lenses, not hooked up to a telescope. Just mounted on a tripod. that said, I'm seriously jealous of the Nikon. I've been wanting a DSLR for a while now.

oh you call that zoom?

Thats 8 inches of zoom for you. Good enough to see the "blast off" site for the lunar landers. you can also see some of the lines from the soviet rovers.

takes a gibbous moon to see it though. and i really don't see much besides a bright'ish line

telescope used

Although i couldn't imagine using a ultra nikon combined with that telescope. I got a new lens/filter kit for it for 280$ (nikon brand at that hahahha) but haven't had the time to wheel the beast out somewheres dark.

Nikon's covered in the sock in that picture above (use baby socks for the other lenses, works great)

Ok twigs, you can stop making me jealous now.

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post

What a beautiful demonstration for any photographer how light is useless without darkness. The clarity of the craters on the waning edge of this photo is breathtaking...

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

I had no idea we had so many budding astronomers on TBCS. Nice pictures guys. How do you interface the camera with a telescope?

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    Yeah I too wanted a DSLR for a long time I am so glad I have finally gotten one I am really having a blast. I found my point and shoot cannon was holding me back.
    Need a sig

Quote Originally Posted by simon275 View Post
    How do you interface the camera with a telescope?
    When mummy camera and daddy telescope love each other very much ... wait ... what?

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    When mummy camera and daddy telescope love each other very much ... wait ... what?
    hahaha i actually just hold the camera upto the lens and start snapping pictures.

one of my old youtube moon videos, just raw footage of me holding the camera to the telescope.