Thread: A farewell to the Space Shuttle program

Default Re: A farewell to the Space Shuttle program

Live ustream of launch if anyone wants to watch:
    http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv#utm_c...medium=6540154
    Should launch at 11:26AM today.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

And lo have I borne witness to the beginning of the end of the independent US space program.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Thought this was rather appropriate.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Thought this was rather appropriate.
    ISS and STS can be seen chasing each other across the night sky on the 26th.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata...=United+States

just pick your state and city (other countries are available to for yall outside of the US)

my bad its the 16th not the 26th.

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

A ten minute window at 4am, I think I'll pass. Cool site though to show you what you can see.
    TheMainMan

weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Realistically, I think with everyone complaining about the budget and everything, a temporary hold off may not be a bad thing. I have no doubt that it'll come back at some point. Lots of good things have come out of space. Cryo treatment came from space. Anyone remember that? It's used heavilly on race car applications. My understanding is that it was discovered when metal was noticed to have structural properties that were far stronger from temperatures. So out of curiosity was replicated here on our good ol' rock and they discovered that the properties of metal could be strengthened by cryo treatment. We're talking a good amount too!

I remember reading a really funny article about a place in seattle that does it, and the guy put one of his razor blades for his mach 3 shaver in the treatment and the blade lasted him like 4 months.

So to say going to space is pointless, well, sorry Mr. Obama. Not true.

However, I'm sure we'll see it come back again at some point. I do like the comment though about exploring the oceans. I mean, hell, how much have we NOT explored of the oceans?

Sucks that it's been ended, at least for now. Mankind will always be curious. So long as that is a fact, space will always be there and we'll always want to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by CorsePerVita View Post
    Realistically, I think with everyone complaining about the budget and everything, a temporary hold off may not be a bad thing. I have no doubt that it'll come back at some point. Lots of good things have come out of space. Cryo treatment came from space. Anyone remember that? It's used heavilly on race car applications. My understanding is that it was discovered when metal was noticed to have structural properties that were far stronger from temperatures. So out of curiosity was replicated here on our good ol' rock and they discovered that the properties of metal could be strengthened by cryo treatment. We're talking a good amount too!

I remember reading a really funny article about a place in seattle that does it, and the guy put one of his razor blades for his mach 3 shaver in the treatment and the blade lasted him like 4 months.
    My step dad does this. lol... The difference is impressive... If anyone needs it done hit me up and I'll supply you his info.
    Not dead yet

Actually, I'd be interested.

I'll make a post in the trading post section, Send me a PM, I'll talk to him about it today.
    Not dead yet