Sponsors:

Hazard Factory:

http://www.hazardfactory.org/

Privateer Press:

http://privateerpress.com/

Green Fairy Studios

http://greenfairystudios.wordpress.com/

Greetings!

I am currently embroiled in an epic casemod project, the Cygnar Storm Strider! The Storm Strider is a model available in the Privateer Press game Warmachine. I've decided to make a case in the same vein as the minitature sculptors by casting the individual parts through the lost-foam process.

My planning is ad hoc at best. I’ve got my sizes and plans all jotted out on paper and you’ll probably see my drunken scrawl on the large master documents I have hanging in my basement. But for now here are a few of the details:

- Going to try to keep the case in scale with the dimensions provided in Privateer’s concept art.

- I have to utilize some of the computer parts I already have in my current computer (screw you economy). With no sponsor, this all comes out of pocket and the bulk of my money is going to pay for the scrap aluminum. This means at a minimum I am using:
    o my current videocard (a Radeon)
    o a spare 500gb HDD
    o my current power supply (1000w)
    I will probably end up buying:
    o mobo - ASAS Maximus Gene-Z - Purchased
    o a I-7 2600k (LGA1155) - Purchased
    o memory - 16GB DDR3 1600

- This case will stand about 33inches or 84cm tall
    - The legs, dome, and lightning coils will be made using the lost-foam casting process.
    - I will work this project as though I have a 80 (now 50) day deadline but will continue if I miss it.
    For the sake of your bandwidth, I will break up a couple of these posts so I'm not flooding this forum with large pictures.
    Now, onto the Creation and Progress!!!
    I decided to start with the biggest time sinks for this project... the foam prep for lost-foam casting. There are going to be 4 main part-areas that will be cast in aluminum using lost-foam casting: Legs, Shin plates, Lightning Coils, and the Dome. There might be other pieces and detail parts that I might cast but I'll be creating those as the need arises.

First thing I did was take an image of the actual miniature for perspective shots and the concept art and crop and blow up the images for basic patterns to use. I'm using these as pattern for the shape and general idea of the parts. I did take some artistic liberties and changed some of the depths and design to work with casting and function. Next I started tracing the pattern shapes onto 2" (sorry I'm a backwards American and recorded everything in inches) blue closed cell foam. Then I sketched out and created the base plate onto .25" foam core.

http://teafromanemptycup.com/casemods/foam01.JPG

In the above image you can see my first attempt at creating the coils. I messed around with how I was going to create the coils. I knew I was going to have to create the coils in two parts so that I could properly core the coils for lighting. So I was going to have to have two equal and matching parts that have two unique sides. I originally cut the coil shapes directly out of the blue foam. Then I realized that it was going to be nearly impossible to make the two halves from a single pie. Then I realized it was going be equally difficult making each half match while carving each separately. Finally (and successfully) I was able to create a process for making both halves match by rounding two parts into cylinders at the maximum diameter of each coil. See the stages for both the coils and the legs below:

I’ve been designing the enclosure under the idea that I’d be using a micro-ATX board with my current video card tilted horizontally with a flexible PCI express extender cable. I’ve arranged it so the motherboard location can be moved on the base plate if I go with a different model/brand. I’ve also designed the enclosure to work with any single graphics card that is no bigger than 11”x5”x3.5” and left the possibility to add a second videocard. If I can’t find a suitable/economic replacement, I’ll be using my own graphics card which easily fits within those dimensions. The globe will be cast and either welded or bonded to an aluminum plate cover. The base plate will be made from a single aluminum plate. There will be 4” walls separating the base plate from the cover. These walls are still being designed for their stylization. Here are the progress shots for the mobo plate and top plate:

As mentioned before the lightning globe will be a cast piece. Basically, I simplified my workload by going to a local craft shop and picking up a 10” white foam flower arrangement globe (the elderly ladies always love it when visit the craft shop, they flirt mercilessly). I bisected the globe and then quartered one half. I cored out the quarters with a dremel trying to maintain a consistent .5” thickness through the wall. As you can see, I also measured and eye-balled the placement of the rings. After I felt comfortable with the look and feel of the ring placement I made basic port-holes in the globe. Next I took some smaller white foam balls and sliced them in half, cored them, then reduced the halves until they made nice little rings. I used regular wood glue (that burned off well in the materials test) to attach the rings to the globe.

That’s it for now, I’ll post more tomorrow!

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Cygnar Storm Strider Casemod

Fantastic idea and a great start. Welcome to TBCS! +rep to get you started

Hey man, that's a really great start. Can already see that this is going to have a lot of great small details. Can't wait to see more!

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Welcome to TBCS! This looks like it's going ot be awesome!

ATX Mental Case

This update is with the lightning coils. The lightning coils are the 3 coiled rods that sit on top of the Storm Strider. I spent time slowly carving and filing away at foam to get a decent shape. There are a couple of things that I’m taking into consideration when I’m sculpting these coils out:

- They don’t need to be too detailed. Most of the details can be added once the coil is cast in aluminum. The aluminum is easier to work while doing minuscule details while the foam is more workable while removing large portions.

- The coil will be hollowed out to be lit up by LED. Because it’s a casemod and what’s the fun of having a case without the lightshow?

- A small bridge might have to be added after the sculpting to allow the molten aluminum to reach all of the points in the mold.

The tools I used to create these foam coils:
    - Compass
    - Sharpees
    - Exacto Blade
    - Drywall sanding blocks (2 different grains, fine and very fine)
    - Various files
    - Dremel
    - Foam Magic Wand (a variation of the hot wire, pictured in a previous update)
    - Plenty of Painter’s Tape

As stated in the previous update, each Lightning Coil will casted in 2 halves to allow access to the center for lighting. To simplify this process, I took 2 pieces with a center line drawn on both halves and pressed them together over some toothpicks. The toothpicks will give the model a little support when I’m working with them. I draw the maximum radius on both the top and both. Then I trace the outline of the lightning coil on both sides and set latitudes for each peak on the pattern. Next I begin carving down from the highest point trying to keep the circles symmetrical. After the general shapes begin to look right, I start planning out the coils. As you can see below, I’ve had to try several times to make sure the coils lined up and stay in proportion. Eventually I have to brave the point of no return and begin carving out the coil portion.

The next step is to prepare some of the foam pieces for casting. To do this I need to attach sprues and vents to the pieces to facilitate the casting process.

That’s it for now. Next Update I’ll show the casting process!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfun View Post
    - A small bridge might have to be added after the sculpting to allow the molten aluminum to reach all of the points in the mold.
    *spits out drink*
    Wait, what? Metal casting? No way. Let me read that again...
    Holy sh*t! That's awesome! This build is awesome! I have no idea what it actually is, but I know awesome when I see it.
    That’s it for now. Next Update I’ll show the casting process!
    Please do! If you're doing this at home then you're winning, plain and simple!
    Oh, and welcome to TBCS!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

This just gave me the perfect idea for a mod!

Can't wait to see whats next.

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Subbed to this, looks like it will be awesome! Welcome to TBCS.
    TheMainMan

ATX Mental Case

Casting!

I’d like to start this by thanking Rusty Oliver for both teaching me how to cast aluminum and allowing me access to his shop and tools to cast the aluminum. Rusty teaches metal working classes for South Seattle Community College and one of those classes is a casting class. You can also check out Rusty’s work at HazardFactory’s or see him on the TV show Weaponizer.

I’ve broken this process down to three sections; preparing the sand, setting the mould and pouring the metal (aluminum). The pictures and descriptions are from two different casting sessions. We did an initial casting session as a materials test and to test the process. The second session was to make some of the useable parts.

First we had to prepare the sand. When I get into the shop, chances are the sand has been used by a previous class and so I have to break it down the old fashion way with sifter and an old spaghetti strainer.

Next I toss all of the sand into an old cement mixer and slowly add water. This makes it so that the sand binds together after it has been placed into a mould and allows it to keep its shape. Unfortunately (or fortunately for your attention span) I don’t have many pictures of me preparing the sand because it’s fairly simplistic manual labor.

The second part of this process is preparing the moulds. Rusty and I spend some time putting together several boxes to hold the sand and the mould for the casting process.

After the boxes are ready I place the foam parts in the boxes and begin setting sand in and around the pieces to fully enclose the parts. You have to make sure that the sand is packed in fairly tight but not tight enough to distort or damage the foam.

After it’s all packed in, you need to uncover the sprues, the vents and make a little trough for the molten aluminum to be poured into.

Here’s that same process with the large half dome piece:

While we’re preparing the moulds, we are also preheating the furnace and melting aluminum.

Eventually we get ready to pour…

But I’ve run out of time, I’ll post the pouring and results tomorrow! Sorry!

LOL!!!!

Its like watching a TV show and it has a dramatic ending and now you have to wait until next weeks episode!!!

Its amazing that you have access to that shop.