Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a place to put thoughts for build

Custom Title Honors

Default Need a place to put thoughts for build

going to start this thread to put thoughts for my laptop build- current name hydro6000. As the name implies, it will hopefully be a water cooled DV6000 laptop when everything is said and done. A lot of the information is/will be moved from the now way off subject motherboard replacement - DV6000 post in the laptop section. This is starting to take shape but still need parts, plan, money and hopefully some input from the group here.

Quick overview to get those reading up to speed:
    1. DV6000 motherboard was replaced with "upgraded model"
    2. Still risking overheating and burning up chips/board
    3. Working on custom copper block for CPU/CHP, and GPU to completely replace oem hs/f
    4. Will most likely be WC this, hopefully more for the wow factor then necessity.
    5. Stuck on cooler pad. I have found a couple good candidates but stuck on some of the hows, whats, and wheres of building/modifying.

Current parts list of on hand, need to get, and would like to get

On Hand:
    DV6000
    2x Waterblocks (in transit)
    1x copper block (soon to be 2 blocks)

Need to get:
    water pump 12v 72L/Hr
    radiator
    80mm fan
    cooler pad (modded or built)
    2nd power supply

Would like to get:
    reservoir (still optional)
    speakers (Dell AS501 or AX510 at this point)
    speaker amp (for a mini subwoofer FA607 from qkits)
    mini subwoofer
    higher capacity battery/s
    Secondary battery for cooler pad parts

If it's preferred I put all the pics up instead of links, please let me know.
    I think this covers the majority of it for now. I'm sure ill be adding to this shortly though.

Outlaw

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Need a place to put thoughts for build

Couldn't you make your own cooler pad with alumimum or acrylic? Might bring down the cost for you and make this project that much more custom.

Custom Title Honors

The building part would be ideal as I have run through it probably dozens of times in my head, the big part stopping me from doing that is tools and work space. The cooler pads considered were $25-$90 and would still need some modification.

I was thinking of posting in the service wanted to see if someone could at least make me the frame section. built from modders mesh would be preferred. I just don't have anything to correctly bend it to suit unless I missed something on tool less bending.

Approx dimensions needed.
    16-16.5" wide
    12-12.5" deep
    2.4" MIN front, 2.5-3" rear

Using a 19x19" sheet, this would give me the front, top, rear, and a lip on the sides and bottom for mounting another sheet of metal and some acrylic to the sides.

In the end, the goal is to fit as much of the equipment into the cooler pad.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

do you have a piece of wood, some C-Clamps and a torch? you could bend it your self. Actually if you wanted it rounded you could use a pipe and a rubber mallet. Modders mesh bends super easy. You could use a 1/8" thick alumimum strip to go under the edges of the modders mesh to give you a type of frame.

Custom Title Honors

The only torch on hand isn't really a torch by my definition. Its a butane torch/soldering iron. The soldering iron "adapter" comes off and exposes a "torch" capable of up to 2400* per the box.

I do not have any C-Clamps or a piece of wood usable in this application.

I would have go to my dads about 20miles away on a good day who has most of this.

How easy is "super easy". lol

For bending the mesh, is there a recommended way to get tight corners close to each other? Or is that what the wood and C-Clamp is for? and why size wood? I think my dad mostly has 2x4 from previous home projects he's done.

Do you think the mesh would be strong enough on it's own?

If I were to get a couple clamps, I may be able to use our counter top, lol although the wife probably wouldn't care for it too much.

Thanks for the info
    Outlaw

*edit*
    found some angle aluminum. 1/8"- http://www.amazon.com/Steelworks-Bol.../dp/B000PXSJA0

It wouldn't have to be that exact one as I wouldn't need 8ft but would that be better to make the frame out of as it would give more support? Also, what is preferred for cutting it?

if your using the dense modders mesh it is strong but probably not strong enough to hold something.

Its easy as clamping it down with a piece of 2x4 thats longer than your mesh and hammering it down to a right angle on some type of edge with a rubber mallet. If you have a porch, your cement steps would also work instead of a counter top. (IF they have a nice 90 degree edge.)

Custom Title Honors

Ok, good to know with the mesh. I will just have to find a good sheet to get and some angle aluminum.

Also, based on the info, I will most like have to paint as well.

Here's another radiator option that might be more appropriate.
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11..._Radiator.html

Custom Title Honors

I was actually considering that just because of the size but I wasn't sure how efficient it is and what the wattage it could handle. I was also discouraged because of the limited fan choice and high price for minimal cfm. Plus 4000rpm for upto 8cfm didn't seem to quite. lol maybe i missed the good fans though.

I asked over at overclock and they recommended against it. Any reviews on it?

The 3/8" barbs on it means I would need reducers as well which isn't all bad but an additional cost. Unless I change the pump I was looking at and purchase 3/8" barbs.

Thanks

Custom Title Honors

Anyone know of a good set of portable speakers? Similar to size of the dells I referenced above. AS501 or AX510

Dimensions:
    58(H)x340(W)x58(D)mm
    2.28x13.39x2.28inch

If I am able to make the cooler pad, this would get mounted into the front. And also if the mini sub is possible, this would be mounted facing up somewhere under the laptop itself.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Outlaw