Thread: computer won't boot

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Default computer won't boot

Hey guys, in the process of draining and refilling my cooling system yesterday, I spilled some Feser 1 coolant on the motherboard. It splashed over the middle of the board - hitting the RAM sockets, the area around them, and getting under the video card socket and southbridge.

I mopped it up as best I could, used my air compressor and a hair dryer to blow as much as possible out from under things and mop that up (using napkins & paper towels), and waited until today to try powering it on. I also removed, mopped coolant from, then reseated my two RAM chips and the CMOS battery. When I initially hooked up the PSU, the various lights turn on normally, but when I hit the power button nothing happens, aside from the fans spinning and the hard drive spinning. The pump is operating normally, and the coolant only got on the motherboard.
    So it appears that the power is functioning normally, but I'm not getting any kind of POST, and there's nothing coming up on the screen.

How likely is it that I've permanently damaged the computer? The Feser 1 coolant is supposed to be non-conductive, but I realize that it's possible to contaminate it (the m/b did have dust on it).

At this point I don't have much to lose by trying to clean it, so any advice on the best way to do so? Feser 1 is water soluble, so would dismantling everything and wiping it down with a wet cloth, then allowing it to dry be the way to go?

Thanks!!
    (PS - if it *is* completely dead, anyone have or know anyone with an Asus Crosshair II Formula they want to sell? they seem to be hard to find these days....)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Default Re: computer won't boot

I seem to have fixed it - I'm not sure exactly what I did, but it appears that at least one issue was my monitor was off more later...

*edit* - yep, it's working now. Apparently Asus boards are very finicky with the CMOs, and the problem was likely a result of my removing the battery while the main power was off. the issue was exacerbated by my monitor being off - usually I let it go to sleep (and have it set to do so when I turn off the computer) but it must have actually shut off during all this. oy...

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Uhm...

You'll be reminded on jokes from now on.

"Why isn my monitor blank???? Oh, RIGHT! It ain't on!"

We still like you, though
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Uhm...

You'll be reminded on jokes from now on.

"Why isn my monitor blank???? Oh, RIGHT! It ain't on!"

We still like you, though
    yeah...I know....LOL

What happened was this - when I completely cut power to the computer, sometimes my monitors turn themselves off completely. If I push the power button on the screen while the computer's off, the screen won't turn on; in fact it doesn't do anything at all. Thus it's very easy to become uncertain about whether they're on or not.
    It wasn't til I'd gone around in circles a few times before I tried hitting the screen power button *while* the computer was on. Once I did, I discovered it was stopping on a "low fan speed" error - since it's water-cooled, there's nothing plugged into the CPU fan header. After I went into the BIOS and turned off the notification, everything was back to normal.

The REALLY sad part? This isn't the first time I've done this. Back in college, about 14 years ago, I'd upgraded my machine, turned it on, and took half an hour to figure out I didn't have my screen plugged in. To anything. Live and learn, eh? LOL I'm just relieved it's not totally fried...

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Nothin' like fried motherboard to finish off your good day, eh?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Only if it has a good sauce (in this case...coolant....bleagh....)