Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC Machined iPhone case

Default CNC Machined iPhone case

Have a school project coming up which involves developing and manufacturing a product in a CNC mill and/or CNC turning machine. What do you think of milling an iphone case in brass or aluminum? How much would you consider paying for such a case (milling a case would be quite expensive)?

And do you have any other ideas for a product?

Thanks in advance
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: CNC Machined iPhone case

Aluminum!! I would deff buy one. I think 30-50 would be reasonable. But might also be expensive. Although I would need to get a newer iPhone first. My 2G is starting to go.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

I could use a machined titanium or aluminum alloy CCD mount for my dobsonian reflector.

but its gotta be ultra light weight.

well that's what i'd do. phone cases are a dime a dozen and metal ones already exist for like 19.99$ online

But maybe i'm just in a hateful mood today.

You're also going to need to have foam in the metal case to actually protect the phone, both from drops and the metal case itself.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    You're also going to need to have foam in the metal case to actually protect the phone, both from drops and the metal case itself.
    what about anodizing or clear coating the metal to keep it from oxidating/corrosion if its just straight up metal stock he's milling But that would depend on the metal you used i guess right?

You can also PM me about metal plating, i'm still practicing ghetto
    metal plating metals and I have a couple good links saved with guides, and some good youtube videos to watch. It's really easy once you understand which metals will take to others, and some things you need to base plate (called shock plating) with a different metal that acts as a cataylst between the two since the original two intended metals won't form a bond between the two.

But really the trick to successful plating is just having a "clean" surface to plate to, if you have any ANY ANY (can't say that enough) junk on the material.

You don't even need a large voltage or ampearge to plate small objects. my first experiment was with a cell phone charger and that worked fine LOL

I was more thinking about the metal case with no foam scratching the phone as it's pulled on and off.

But the coating of the metal is important depending on the effect you're wanting. If you use mild steel, then you're going to have to give a a protective coat to prevent rusting, or if you use Aluminium, you're going to have to allow for the fact it will oxidise in weather, but that oxidised coating will also help to protect it from some level of wear and tear. And since it's a phone case, you should also pay attention to what metals people can be allergic to. Copper is a decent example of this.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    Copper is a decent example of this.

Did you know copper is an effective anti-biological agent against bacteria AND viruses! If you look next time your at the hosptial, you'll see copper fixtures in the surgury rooms and on the door kick plates,handles and stuff like that (i noticed its always chrome fixtures in the hospital "dramas" and TV shows)

http://hightechnologyscrubs.com/2011...of-infections/

I always wondered why the actual tools weren't copper, but i guess its for a few reasons like copper isn't exactly friendly with autoclaves, and some people are allergic to it.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

It's probably a chrome (finish) to reduce cost on a set.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    It's probably a chrome (finish) to reduce cost on a set.
    well who the hell outside of real surgeons and super chemistry geeks are going to know those fixtures are usually brass/copper and not chrome

=p

People who spend most of their lives in the hospital like me.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08