Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project: Arc

Default Project: Arc

ARC

This project was prompted when I realized I had a Thinkpad X61 that would get too hot in its case to do much of anything. If I couldn't use it as a laptop then what would I do with it? Bartop styled ARCade System.

Buttons, switches, joystick, and donor controller.

Some nice Happ concave buttons.

Happ competition joystick.

Donor X61.

Opened up. Laptop is so nice. Wish it hadn't come to this.

Donor controller. Old USB controller that has been sitting for years. Busted analog stick, but I don't need that anyway.

Stripped down.

Removed all the extras and stripped it down to the main controller board. Direct access to the signal pads.

In retrospect I would have kept the wire leads, and soldered to them. I had an issue with some of the pads. Probably due to my very hasty soldering; I was in a rush to get it done before running out the door to class. I had mistraced the USB data + and - wires, so I had to resolder those. The +5V also pulled the pad off after moving around a bit, so I scraped the trace down to the copper and soldered to that. Hot glued it to keep it strong once I knew it worked.

Placed into a project box and wired up so I can easily add / remove the arcade wires without having to desolder and mess with things. It now works and is recognized by the computer. Just have to wire up the buttons and joystick.

Tracing out my idea for the shape of the sides of the frame. All I have are basic hand tools, so instead of trying to be perfect and being disappointed I am going to just go with the flow and let the creative side of me deal with anything that may come up.

The two sides cut out.

Sides attached together with supports. LCD mounted.

I kept the LCD in it's plastic frame as that way I didn't need to make custom mounts for each board.

Plenty of room for the buttons and joystick.

Another angle.

Rear.

Ran wires to the 12V and ground on the LCD for a couple fans. Also ran wires for the monitor's power switch. I didn't realize the monitor gets 12V even when off, so I'll have to have a switch for the fans, or tie them to another switch.

The handrest mounted and hole cut for the acrylic for the joystick and buttons to go through. I cracked the handrest trying to use the rotary tool to drill, as my drill died, so I'll reinforce it when I get back today from picking up a new drill.

Running the wires up through a whole in the lcd and down the back.

Tied off the wires in the hole at the top of the LCD. This way, if I accidentally yank on them, it won't rip them off the solder points.

Expect more progress on the handrest, joystick, and buttons. Then I will wire them up and test them. Have to make sure it all works before I continue. Otherwise I'll have to tear apart another controller and rewire everything to the box.

Paint has always been my bane in this apartment; it never comes out the way I want it to. In light of that, I am going to be wrapping the sides, handrest, and trim boards in fabric. This will keep me from worrying about dealing with paint, and is why I left some gaps between pieces.

Default Re: Project: Arc

Wasn't this only a few days ago that it came up in a discussion

Looking forward to more!!!!

WOW...sub'd
    Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    measure for two days.
    cut once.
    In the pipeline: PRO-49776

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

+ sub

Thanks and yup! I started looking through my stuff the day after that thread. Ordered the joystick and buttons on ebay and went at it.

I picked up a drill today, so I will continue working on the handrest and acrylic base for the buttons tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the buttons in and wired up so I can test and make sure it all works. Then get the trim pieces going. I picked up some fabric at the thrift store today. I found some nice vinyl in the clearance section of JoAnn fabrics, but it turns out the price listed was per yard and not total, so I grabbed some fabric from the thrift store instead.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Figure out how to have a slide-out keyboard!
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I was thinking about that, but once it is setup I will use it for nothing but NES/SNES/Genesis. Anything else any of my other computers could do just as well. So it will most likely be a set it and forget it deal once it is done.

Leave an external USB hub. For keyboard, mouse and a USB thumb drive to offload new game ROMs from. Will make life easy in the future. Or have the hub just inside of an easily accessed panel.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

^And that's why I suggested the keyboard.
    For accessing things you couldn't with a D-pad.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I figured I would run a USB extension to the exterior of the case. I was also going to keep the wireless that way I could RDP if I needed to.

Just boot into hyperspin. It's a front end for your OS that's pretty much an HD rom menu system. It's pretty awesome.