Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnets?

Anodized

Default Re: Magnets?

yes it does. but if it does there is a button that you can hit to de-magnetize your screen.
    A wise man once said "Enjoy every sandwich."

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by .alchinko.
    yes it does. but if it does there is a button that you can hit to de-magnetize your screen.

False. The button is Degaussing, which does not fix magnet problems.

I did that to my old CRT, but fixed it by strategically moving the magnet around until the CRT was fine agian.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Anodized

o ok thank you for the correction.
    A wise man once said "Enjoy every sandwich."

Quote Originally Posted by rusty shackleford
    just use velcro ...
    Velcro isnt clean. It detracts from the smooth, professional appearance, and looks more like a quick-fix than a permanent solution IMO.

-Cool-
    Project Pioneer : AMD AthlonXP 3000+ : 1GB DDR RAM : Windows XP MCE
    ATI Radeon X1650 256MB : 520-Watt Corsair PSU : 20x DVD-RAM DL + LightScribe
    1.0TB Seagate SATA II : 400GB Seagate SATA II : 400GB Samsung SATA II
    250GB Seagate SATA I : 80GB Western Digital PATA/IDE

IEEE!!! MAGNETS! XMASTREE, SAVE ME!

lol. Childish moment aside, magnet's won't do anything. Look up the reed switches thread with the search tool for more information.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Overclocked

if you really wanted to go the safe route on this, go with the non-magnet alternative....

about a dollar at your local hardware shop
    EPYK : very imposing or impressive; surpassing the ordinary

lots of mod tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    False. The button is Degaussing, which does not fix magnet problems.

I did that to my old CRT, but fixed it by strategically moving the magnet around until the CRT was fine agian.
    Degaussing = de-magnetizing. http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/degauss.html

Well... Seeing as I have been fixing crt's for about 30 years, I should chime in. (damn, gave away my age...)

Most if not all modern crt monitors have coils of wire wrapped around the crt to Degauss the screen upon pressing the power button. This effectively re-aligns the magnetic particles in the crt (I could get all technobabble on ya all but that would hurt my brain). So it IS de-magnetizing the screen. This will fix _most_ magnet related problems. For those it does not fix, you will need an external degausser (available at most electronic supply stores for about $35. All it really is, is just a coil of wire you plug into the wall, turn it on and with the coil flat against the montior, move it in a circle while backing away from the screen. once you are far enough away from the screen where you no longer see the effects of the coil, turn it perpendicular and shut it off. This procedure has fixed 99% of the crt's that i have had problems with. (including $60k projectors)

BTW I have made a lot of $$ just degaussing monitors when people put regular speakers next to their monitor. $35 service call $25 for fixing the problem.

EDIT: another btw: there are magnets around the neck of the crt to align the electron beams. you can get some pretty wierd effects by dorking with them (warning, don't try this at home or I will have to charge you for a service call)

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo
    EDIT: another btw: there are magnets around the neck of the crt to align the electron beams. you can get some pretty wierd effects by dorking with them (warning, don't try this at home or I will have to charge you for a service call)

haha...that was the best part...the warning

Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    stunning, how does one tap a hole?

If the magnets are week enough they won't do anything to an lcd or crt monitor (i've tested this numerous times :p) and ones I have are as strong or stronger than typical fridge magnets.

There is also a really cheap way of making your own degausser that invovled a drill but I can't remember the details atm. It was Screen Savers a while back if anyone remembers the show.

D'Oh

has any one of you tried playing with a 10" magnet, like 4 pounds (~2kg)? the effect on a crt is spectacular :p i can bend/discolor the image from 5 feet away and if i use the speaker with double stacked magnets, i can mess with 3 or 4 screens at a time =))

getting serious, i've never seen a hard drive magnetically-challanged me and my room mates fooled around with different magnets and pieces of hardware.. what can happen with magnets is to induce an electric signal, if you move a magnet around really fast... a big magnet (like from a PA speaker..) and someone with too much time and energy could probably mess around with your mobo, but still... it will never corrupt data on a hdd or burn anything.. to cause enough EMI this way you need lots of brute force
    oh, if the degausing doesn't work (or there isn't such a function, like in older crts), i use the really old soldering gun i got it has large coils inside and is tuned to be in anti-phase when working.. so you get the same result like with the thing airbozo uses

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|