Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooling Problems

Razors Edge

Default Cooling Problems

Alright, In my lan party, My computer kept shutting off after liek 20 minutes. I tried new powersupplies, editted bios settings, window spwoer settings, I basicley got to the point where I figured out it wasnt the power. It was the CPU getting to hot. So I bought a Thermaltake Smart Case Fan, and ti works great, but it only holds for around 1 hour. I have an exhuast 80 mm on the case. I don't know what else to do.

I am aware that water cooling can solve my problems, not to be a nudge, but I don't want to get into that.

I need suggestions if anyone has any.

Default Re: Cooling Problems

New/better heatsink?

Hehe, you probably won't want to do this, but you could keep your case open and have a room fan blowing on it. Hehe, but I personally wouldn't do that.

Razors Edge

The heatsink is brand new thermaltake too.

This is my Lan-Party machine, Basicley eveyr week it goes to a differnt house. I can't have a room fan hooked into it. Although that seems like a great idea for a mod *cough* paul *cough*...i didn't say anything

Case Wizard

Could the bottom of the heatsink be uneven which would cause the thermal paste to not spread properly?

Would you possible be able to return it and buy a Zalman HSF?

First, install motherboard monitor 5, run the box with a game for an hour or so and tell us the temps. That will give us an idea of what your problem is.

Razors Edge

How do I do mother bboard moniter 5?

D'Oh

"Lan-Party Rig
    Pentuim D Celeron @ 3.01 GHZ. 512 Baffalo Ram. Biostar P4 series mobo, Nvidia Geforce 6800 GTX, Liteonit DVD burner, 120 Gig WD HD, 200 Watt Micro-ATX PSU, Completley Modded Future Power case, IBM Flatscreen Moniter."..ok
    your having temp problems with this? i think the cooler isn't seated optimally on the cpu... i did see a similar problem with a 2.8 celeron (stood at 70+ in idle and went 80+ in use.. then throtlling kicked in and it sucked even in windows..) i just took it apart, did some wire managementm put an extra 120mm exhaust near the cpu.. and changed the thing between the HS and cpu.. i put arctic cooling mx-1, as it was what i had at hand.. temps dropped to 40-45 degrees but even with the big fan stopped, temps remained 40ish.. basicly, i'm wondering.. when did u start having problems? in what conditions? 'cause u shouldn't have thermal problems.. the psu looks very underpowered tho.. but u tried something there,right... hmm... i say take the rig apart and put it back usually that fixes things

Could the bottom of the heatsink be uneven which would cause the thermal paste to not spread properly?

Would you possible be able to return it and buy a Zalman HSF?
    although i don't necesarily like Tt or Zalman, chances are waaay slim that it's a defect in the HS ..and one so bad probably a nudge "relocated" the HS and made the cpu angry

still, even in torture-filled conditions, the pc shouldn't shut down because of heat issues.. it should just turn "slo o o o w e r"

a Q: is the cpu a pentium or a celeron? this would make a huge difference on the heat output...

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Fresh Paint

did you use anything between the heatsink and what you placed it on...?
    if not, there is your problem...

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Also, did you properly clean the existing thermal compound from the top of the chip when you changed the heatsink? You may actually find that the 6800 is emitting a lot of heat too - you might want to consider a cooling upgrade for that - there are a couple arctic cooling units you can get for the 6800 - it'll cool it more efficiently - might bring your overall temps down...

One other thing to think about. The vast majority of power supplies have a fan which pulls heat out of the case - you MIGHT get a better result if you put the 80mm exhaust fan at the front of the case, as an intake - it'll then suck cooler air into the case instead of just waitin for cooler air to work it's way in....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Razors Edge

I have a PCI slot 80mm fan under it blowing up toward its fan and sink.

Yes, I the thermaltake had the greesy stuff under it, it was white.

I have one fan in the front, that blows in, an exhuast fan that blows out, a pci fan that blows towards the 6800, and a cpu smart case fan working at 4800 rpm.

The 6800 is accually pretty cool to the touch. its just the cpu.