Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: fishtank

Overclocked

Default Re: fishtank

Temperature isnt a issue and can be rectified. Throw a tube and a air rock and you have air so that is solved, Filtration can easily be modified onto the air rock if no space for a good filtration and do a diy bio media rock and sponge filtration. If those all are done right amonia and ph and your nitrite and nitrates should be fine.

As for sealing in the componets that could be an issue but like i mentioned in my post i would just use acrylic and aquarium sealer and build around the componets so they have room for the water cooling and add extra mosfets along with soe other resources for air.

So other then sealing the parts right in with sealer which most likely would not work there is a way but needs to be carefully planned.

Also if you dont go for tropical fish and maybe go for something that requires a cooler temp to live in like 24 degrees c, which would be below room temp, which we know you cant air cool past anyways, if you put a chiler in the system for the water of the aquarium it would probably actually help cool your system like water cooling and work better since most water cooling systems I have seeen dont have a chiller on them.

As a side note i would keep the chiller external because internally it may cause some condensation effects unless of course its a submersable but they cost even more and would take up some space that the fish most likely could use.
    Mesh makes the world go around!!!!

Wont fish gunk get into your Waterblock and corode it? And wont air in your system damage the pump?
    Tho the air problem could be fixed by using a single moving part pump...
    such as this one http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod1663.htm

Overclocked

You wouldn't use the tank as the rez for the watercooling.

That would just be stupid . Especially since you may want some additives for the water depending on the setup of the watercooling which would be poisonoius. If you had no fish or anything you could use a submersible pump.

Still though you would want the tank seperate from the watercooling line. I think that is just common sence.

I believe this mod would be pretty much impossible to do. I own several fishtanks, and even if you just used 1 small fish you wouldn't be able to pull it off. Keeping the tank and surrounding areas clean (in thise case, the computer itself) is no small challenge.

Tank water evaporates, and leaves leaves an organic film on anything near the tank. It will even build up on the wall behind a tank. Imagine evaporation film and condensation building up on your CPU, MBD, RAM and other components... It won't be pretty. Not to mention changing and cleaning the tank water would be a horribly troublesome task.

Possible? Yes. Probable? No.

"Possible? Yes. Probable? No."

I think that sums up this mod... the orignal idea anyway.

Bit-tech have an example of a fishtank pc in their feature on World Cyber Games 05 Case Modding Competition. It even won a prize.

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2005...casemod/4.html

NB that it is not as you described, the fish arnt actually swimming around on the inside of the case, but it is a pretty good solution.
    Asking if computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim.
    Asking if people think is like asking if a pebble has a preference between Beethoven and Mozart.

temmink.org recondelta.com

Fresh Paint

I am a fish dork. I have many fish tanks, including a healthy thriving reef (coral) tank which I had to take down recently due to lack of time and cash. (10 gallon tank, over $2,000 worth of stuff in it.) I have also been the head of a big pet stores fish dept for just over 2 years, having ~15 years of personal hobby experiance.

Point: I know fish.

Look, I am going to cut through most of the crap on this issue and lay it flat out. Do not incorperate, at any time, aquatic life of any sort, into the watercooling loop of a computer. You will kill all the live stock. You will gunk up and ruin your waterblocks. Look into a concept called the 'biofilm'. And I mean 'science journal' look it up.

I see this idea kicked around a bunch all over the place. I believe I read a review or worklog about 6 months ago about custom fabricating an acrylic ~1 gallon tank to use as a water cooling res that 5 neon tetra's were put into. In the write up, the author offhandedly said something to the effect of 'and all the neon tetras died. The pH was off or something.' Nope my friend. That is not the cause. Unless additives were added to the water.

I am willing to discuss at great length why a mod of this nature should never be tried if people are truly interested.

Fresh Paint

BTW, the kid who won the mod contest and went to WCG 05 looks like he build a computer *around* a fish tank. And I don't recommend this approach for reasons mentioned by someone else earlier in the thread. Water spray (all pumps and air bubbles produce this microscopic mist) will get into everything. Fish tanks are extremely 'organic' and this water spray contains millions of bacteria, algae and fungi that will form a nice gooey or crusty (depending on how wet that particular spot gets) coating on anything anywhere near the aquarium.

Overclocked

I dont think anyone was talking about putting fish in a water cooling loop.

They are talking about building in side the system where there is free space.

On top of that some of the issues you talked about can be worked around. For example the spray. If you used an eheim submersible with filter canisters witha direct feed into the aquarium you would not have that spray. I have two aquariums sitting here where they are even open on the top but i modified the filtering mnaterial for it and do not have one bit of gunk or white crusty crap because i needed a system that would not disturb the water and splash it around greatly to not relaese the carbon dioxide for my plants. So that can be worked around.

Next if you are woried that much then anything that is that close just coat in a die electric grease like they use for the vapochill systems because of condenstaion and such.

Doing a project like this mind you would not be cheap because in my opinion you would also need a chiller, heater that are of good quality, proper lighting and then sand and plants so that you could work with those types of filtering kits. Dont really need plants but the mist in my opinion is really caused by trying to add air to the system which would be air rocks, bio wheels and such. If under 10 gallons just throw in some plant spikes and no need for a co2 unit as long as the lighting isnt more then I think its 2 watts per gallon.

Anyways in my opinion can be done but just expensive for the gear that would be needed to incorporate it properly.

You would also need a watercooling kit for this but on its own loop and not mixed in with teh aquarium because there would be no room for air to travel thru the case and I wouldnt recommend overclocking. I would also recommed mosfets on anything that can be done too.

note: Also doubt someone would want to do salt/coral setup since the evaporation from that is 100 times more messier and way more to worry about when controlling water levels.

This has been suggested, but make the tank 2 different sections. One for the pc with a separate pump, the other for fish. It will still give the illusion of fish and a pc together. Also, if you have to change your hardware, it's a lot easier.

On top of that you're not screwing with the enviroment of the fish with chemicals or electricity.