Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sleeper

Default The Sleeper [30% 8/7/07]

Hi all and welcome to my project log, as you may have gleamed from the above graphic the title for this modding project is 'Sleeper' as in a stealth-performance pc, subtle on the surface but a beast within.

Before I get underway with describing my plans a little bit of background. My name is James, I live in Canberra, Australia. I am 21 and a uni student, I have currently taken time off from uni to study a course in 3D Animation for Games and Film and that is mainly what this pc will be used for (3DSMax) and of course a bit of gaming when I get the time. This will be the biggest modding project I have undertaken (though by standards here the results will probably be pretty tame, though that is kind of what I am aiming for )

I will be starting with the unassuming Lian Li PC7077 aluminium case which looks not unlike this model I threw together in SketchUp to help with planning:

I am currently working on the sketches of what I am planning to do with the case but I haven't finalised any placements as of yet. At this time I think it would be prudent to list what will be going into the case.
    • Intel q6600 Quad Core CPU
    • 4gig Geil DDR2 PC6400 Ram
    • Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3P Motherboard
    • ~Nvidia 8800GTX (or.. something to replace my 7800GTX)
    • 3x300GB SataII HDD
    • Creative Audigy II ZS Soundcard
    • (Green is already purchased, Red is yet to be purchased)
    The more exciting part of this mod is the 'stealth' watercooling system which I will be assembling:
    • Hardware Labs Black Ice II XFlow Stealth 240 Radiator with 2x Scythe Silent 120mm Fans.
    • Swiftech Apogee GTX CPU Block
    • Swiftech MCW30 NB Chipset Block
    • Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    • Alphacool Cape Bullseye Reservoir
    Some basic design ideas I will follow for this mod:
    1. Maintain the bushed aluminium finish of the case.
    2. The colour scheme will be black as much as possible with blue highlights.
    3. Lighting will be minimal
    4. All items will be made to appear as minimalistic as possible, either obscured when they are turned off by tinted perspex or subtly integrated into the case.
    5. Silence is golden; all fans used will be as silent as practical.
    So some of the ideas I have planned include:
    1. Dark perspex half-panel window, will completely obscure the internals except when lighting is switched on.
    2. Front mounted radiator hidden behind an AC Ryan Radgrill (all internal to case)
    3. 7" LCD mounted behind dark perspex so it is invisible when switched off.
    4. Handles for lan carry.
    5. Side mounted res window.
    6. Black & UV Blue watercooling theme
    7. Hide mobo behind modding mesh panel
    I had an idea for the tubing within the case to further the 'stealth' look of the watercooling system. I am using 1/2" Clearflex tubing and had some wire management stuff left over from a previous mod. I test fitted some off-cuts and I think it looks pretty great:

I think that once the UV lights and blue UV reactive coolant is on it should make a pretty tidy little effect, looking hopefully something like:

That's about all I have time to work out at the moment but I should be updating this project regularly over the next fortnight or so as the project gets underway. As I am trying to maintain the finish of the case and with almost all of the components either here or on order it should be a quick run through to completion once I finalise the design.

I am especially looking for feedback on best practice for cutting the aluminium without ruining the finish, any feedback on the watercooling loop or of course any awesome ideas that you feel like sharing
    Asking if computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim.
    Asking if people think is like asking if a pebble has a preference between Beethoven and Mozart.

temmink.org recondelta.com

Default Re: The Sleeper

+rep looks like a nice concept, and that tube looks AWESOME!!!!!!

yes i really like that blue lit tubing effect. +rep. i'm going to assume by sleeper you mean look innocent but will "rape" your pc in a virtual drag track. if so then why the gigabyte board? is this the model? why not go for 680i?
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Very nice start of a worklog!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

This will be a interesting worklog *subscribed* That tube looks awesome!
    - Computer-Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    if so then why the gigabyte board? is this the model? why not go for 680i?
    Nope, its the Pro version of that board [here]
    The DS3 Pro is a really stable overclocking board, the newer boards are not quite as polished.
    Asking if people think is like asking if a pebble has a preference between Beethoven and Mozart.

Austral Alien

I have a 965P-DS3 and if you are using the DS# board, you WILL need a fan on the Nrothbridge heatsink.
    Even at idle it gets too hot to touch, however by putting a small fan on it, it now runs at a temperature that is much , much cooler.

Here's the heatsink standard:

And with the small fan I bought at a local PC shop:

It just screwed straight into the fins on the heatsink and on the motherboard you'll see a 3 pin plug label NB Fan right next to the Northbridge. I'm yet to shorten the fan wires to be neater, but I will get around to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    I have a 965P-DS3 and if you are using the DS# board, you WILL need a fan on the Nrothbridge heatsink.
    Even at idle it gets too hot to touch, however by putting a small fan on it, it now runs at a temperature that is much , much cooler.

Thanks for the heads up however I have the
    Swiftech MCW30 Chipset Block lined up for NB cooling so it will be on the watercooling loop.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Looks interesting *subscribe*
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

is never gonna give you up Elenril's Avatar

I really like that tube, can't wait to see how this turns out

Click for my dA page

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    Never leave a bright orange case outside. Magpies will attempt to gang rape it.