Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Dark Side of the Moon" Case

Fresh Paint

Default "Dark Side of the Moon" Case

Hey, all! Kinda new here, and I just thought I'd throw out this idea I've had. I don't know how many others around here are into Pink Floyd, but here's my tribute to their "Dark Side of the Moon" album.

It's not to hardware intensive, just requires a bit of time. So, I've got this little case that's got some older components in it. It's flat, and as soon as I get some time I'll try that google sketch-up to put up some renders.

Anyway, paint the album cover art (pic: http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~asanche1/...the%20Moon.jpg ) on to the top of the case, and where the prism is on the cover art, cut that piece out of the case and mount an actual prism into the case. Have like a white LED on one side of the case, displaying right into the prism, and on the other side, where the color spectrum comes out, have a window mounted right there so the rainbow-thing can display on whatever surface it's pointing to.

So, that's the idea right now. Like I said, I'll try and get some renders up later.

btw, this mod community is one of the best I've seen, and it's really gotten me thinking hardcore about modding professionally. I probably won't ever have anything as sweet as the Doom 3 mod, which is damn awesome. Thanks again!

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: "Dark Side of the Moon" Case

When I saw the title of this post I was going to suggest to use a real prism. When you say you'll have a window what were you planning on pointing the spectrum at? I think just having a flat black case with the light and the prism would be cool, and the spectrum will naturally fall onto the flat black.

I like the idea of having it on top of the case, and not the side because then the spectrum will shine out into the room. Would a single white LED create a spectrum like the cover though? You might need to focus it more into a beam. Or use a laser.
    m4gnum.com/tardis/ - Doctor Who inspired case

Fresh Paint

That's what I was thinking, mounting an actual prism into the case. Like, where the prism would be on the album art, mount it into the case.

I would put the end of the prism on the front of the case, with the rest going into a drive bay. You could then light the white "beam" on the front of the case by frosting some plexi and putting a slot for it leading up to the prism. I would then have a hole in the left side of the case for the real projection to go through and hit on the desk a foot or two away from the computer.

If this is too confusing then I'll draw a pic if you want.

Anodized

aww at first I thought you where making a mod to do with Ernesto vs. Bastian - Dark Side of the Moon (completely different genre :p)

oh well good luck with this.

Water Cooled

but if you use a real prism how are you going to incorporate the ECG heartbeat pattern into the green line like the one inside the album.

Did I say album? Oh god i feel so old
    If your going to do a floyd mod you have to have coin sound effects from Money and have a flying pig somewhere too

post pictures I want to see this one.

Fresh Paint

Ok, I finally did some rough sketch-up images.

As you can see, I would mount a prism into the case there in that triangle area, and then from the right, you can see the window where the light would come out from.

As far as sounds from "Money", I could implement those into the start-up sounds.
    Last edited by podpet24; 10-23-2006 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Pictures didn't show up right.

That is totally sweet. I can help you out with prisms and such, if you need it-although you'll need to think about where you're going to get a prism that size.

A superbright white LED could certainly provide most of the spectrum...although i've never tried, in theory it should work well.

You will have to get the painjob on the top side perfect though, because any light falling incident at that angle is going to make dust look like serious deformations.

Watching this-hope you see this through!

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Fresh Paint

So I finally got that old thing from my shed, and man, did it bring back memories...

Here's the patient -

And now a look under the hood...

You wanna make a guy feel older?

So there she is. As far as the pulse goes, I could paint that onto the cd bezel or something.

I'll probably start prepping the case in the next couple of weeks. As soon as I get paid and have some money coming in. At the moment I'm down to paying for a tank of gas and then I'll be broke... This is what college does to you, kids.

Dude...totally!

Pink Floyd may be before my time, but my god, i cannot get over how incredible their music is. In fact, Dark Side of the Moon is prolly my favorite album of all time. Ill definately be keeping an eye on this one.