Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: liquid wiring

Talking liquid wiring

ok guys me and my friends were working on the sr-71 case, and we were theorizing innovative mods. is not water an excelent conductor of electricity?
    what if, your wires were minute pipes of water??????? the pros would be slim,
    and if there was, a leak in your system would short it out, and rust or change into oxygen and hydrogen.
    but seriously? it would be cool
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

ATX Mental Case NamesAreUseless's Avatar

Default Re: liquid wiring

water itself isnt a good conductor so u might need to ad some salt to make it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    I came in here expecting furries, I leave disappointed..

Life is like an analogy...

yes you would need to add stuff to the water to make it conductive. the only thing i can think of that is a down side is the fact that running electricity through something like salt water will do strange things to the ions... chlorine gas may form in the "wires". if you electroplate things, you run into the same problem. i like coating pennies in silver and stuff... you usually get the chlorine gas, and as that comes out of the water, you start getting sodium hydroxide, which WILL conduct, but may have some negative effects on electrodes (eating away at them).

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

There are other liquids that can conduct, but i see where you're going with this. It's an innovative idea just waiting for someone crazy enough to try it.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

That's a pretty neat idea. As Slug pointed out, there are obviously some problems with ionized water, but another liquid could make for some sweet mods... glowing "cables" that are actually UV dyed fluid.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Hmm...

You all are giving me ideas...

hehe...

Anywho, yeah, the base idea is great. Thin-diamater tubing with really ionized liquid (salt water or otherwise) would be cool, but not ideal. Of course, spending hundreds of dollars on the aesthetics of computers is cool and not ideal...

Gentlemen, start your dremels.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Dude...totally!

they had this really nice conductive "ink" or something like that in the days of old athlon overclocking. you literally had you paint your processor to short the L2 briges and get the sucker unlocked. before the ink, no joke, we only needed pencils. lol

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

This sounds pretty cool, but I think it wouldn't be worth your trouble in the end. I would guess it would take months to years to "perfect" it and even then it most likely won't work as well as wires.

Just stick with UV reactive coated wires and save yourself a whole bunch of trouble and, most likely, disappointment. But it really was a great innovative idea! Cheers for that much!

before the ink, no joke, we only needed pencils.
    HA! My old youth pastor knew how to do that pencil stuff. I wasn't really paying attention at the time though. Does anyone know of that in more detail? Where, How, Why, etc?

-SnowFire
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Overclocked

all you need for good electron conductivity is a weak acid .05 molar HCl would be a good bet. then find something that can take the corrosion for a good period of time.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    all you need for good electron conductivity is a weak acid .05 molar HCl would be a good bet. then find something that can take the corrosion for a good period of time.
    Well something like lemon juice might work, perhaps.

but yeah, some sort of actual, concentrated acid would work better. as for metals that can take corrosion, i have no idea. but hey, that's thinking a bit far into the future -- we don't even have liquid wires yet.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"