Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED Help

D'Oh

Default Re: LED Help

looks nice... wondering what you gonna do next

..errm.. when you say a beefier resistor, you mean with a bigger resistance, right? in case of leds and whatever you may be powering, except fans or cup warmers/chillers, a 1/4w (with a specific resistance) rated resistance is enough and shouldn't heat up.. the resistance is actually there to limit the current passing thru the led.. but as current and voltage are very much linked in a diode.. especially a led... problem solved.. if u do mount the led you want on the 5v line and use the holes in which the normal led was placed (sensor), u must, i repeat must, cut the lines that were there and avoid contacting the usb 5v line with the mouse power given to the led.. ill effects may come out of this, but are not guaranteed if u wanna know what type of led/color you can use with your mouse, google the markings on the optical sensor.. depending on this, you may be lucky to get weird modding possibilities.. even purple or infrared leds can be used with some sensors.. blue is a bit of a stretch though.. i was 50% lucky..

.. cvasi-offtopic, if i get a nice grade at today's exam , there is gonna be a third mouse mod in my thread a nice x-750 from a4.. with several improvements.. i'm planning on making this a 5v fan, heater and light emitting mouse more leather and more holes for ventilation and more red

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

I used a 1/4 watt. It was too dim. Then, I was throwing out an old stereo and found an 1/8 watt. Perfection! Tested the mouse for tracking, and it's right on target. No hesitation or anything.

D'Oh

Quote Originally Posted by sgtm View Post
    I used a 1/4 watt. It was too dim. Then, I was throwing out an old stereo and found an 1/8 watt. Perfection! Tested the mouse for tracking, and it's right on target. No hesitation or anything.
    happy accident just in case.. what i was trying to point out is the following: resistances are measured in ohms (u probably know that).. a second rating they get is the wattage, based on the amount of power they can dissipate before turning black so, you actually found a more suitable ohm value than watts value just wanted to clear things for those who read this and might think that watts are important here.. they aren't.. they are important in case u would try to heat the mouse..

if you have a multimeter (cheapo), u can measure the ohms of the resistance and have a future reference in case u wanna buy one and mod another led like that on a 5v line

i'm getting sleepy (20+ awake now.. exam in oooh, 3 hours..), so i'll get some shut eye.. good luck..

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Quote Originally Posted by dgrmkrp View Post
    happy accident if you have a multimeter
    That was the problem. I can't find it right now. Still looking.....

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    sarge, I'm gonna send you a mouse too. I want a GREEN GLOW. can you make it happen?

-Jeremy
    Yeah dude. I can replace the LED's for you. I'll have to see if I can scrounge up some green ones.