Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: GameBoy as external HDD

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

Default Re: GameBoy as external HDD

I agree with the engraving and green led idea
    - Computer-Geek

Definitely agree with the engraving and green leds to illuminate. I'm enjoying seeing this mod progress. Way to keep at it, and know when to change something (like your paint scheme). Sucks you have to spend so much on paint though.

Anyway, love the mod can't wait to see it completed.

+REP

I reject your reality and substitute my own

ATX Mental Case

Hey glad you like it.

As you all voted for the engraving I tried it with a scrap piece of plexi and it works. Note, this is a scrap piece of plexi and I didn't copy the picture well onto the plexi. The final engraving will look much better. This is just to test the amount of detail I can put into it:

It should work with some patients and proper preparation.

Green Led's would fit very well to the gameboy but blue would fit the case. Have to think about the colour. Will use some blue ones for testing, because I just have blue. May order some green later.

ATX Mental Case

Bad news. I won't be able to engrave the image into the actual plexi. Here is a test I did today:

It looks really bad. But I like the engraving idea more and more. Guess I will choose a more simple image to engrave with thicker lines.

ATX Mental Case

Guess I found a solution for the problem. Remember the cardbox enclosure I used as a display cover? I tried to engrave the picture into it which made it easier because the picture could be a little bit bigger. It worked quit well.

But now the silver area of the top cover is over leaped by parts of the image.

Will have to see how it looks illuminated and then decide whether the silver part has to go or not and how to cover the plexi/display thing.

Oh and I will redo this in some plexi with proper alignment. This was just to test the size.

EDIT:

Okay it looks bad when enlightened. But I managed to make this:

It's only a part of the image. The top part is missing, so the rest could be made bigger. Now it fits into the original screen. I think I won't give it a cover on top of the plexi since it looks better without one. Have to think about the colour now. I like blue leds but you are right about the green ones being more original. Guess I will order some green ones to see what looks better. So no being finished this weekend. But slowly it comes together

ATX Mental Case

that looks cute

ATX Mental Case

Sorry no update for quit a long time, but I'm busy at the moment. But I ordered the LED's. Think next weekend should be some time to make progress with the display. Till then.

personaly, i would go with a less detailed image, like a big mushroom or mario's head, instead of fight with such fine lines

ATX Mental Case

hm, may try that. Wills search for more images and try them. Have enough plexi here to try a few different ones.

Maybe try etching with a knife? It would give a finer line, take longwer but the result should be better.