Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External Hard Drive Failure - Not Good.

Default Re: External Hard Drive Failure - Not Good.

awesome! glad to see things worked out for ya.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

tinfoil-underwear

Wow.. nice!

+rep to everyone possible.
    You're in TBCS?
    You do realize we're following a guy that's the

VP of Regional Sales for
    Darth Harrington's Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids

I'm just sayin'...

Speaking of HDDs (So I dont have to open a whole new thread), Im about to lose my current hard drive (this is why I am unable to post pics of EXAC).
    This is the 2nd hard drive that dies on me.
    Basically, what happens is the transfer rate slows down, and currently is around 3.5mb/sec, which means EVERYTHING loads VERY slow, if loads at all.
    How exactly did it get to this? I've seriously no idea.
    There are other symptoms such as BSODs (KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR) and corrupted files with CRC errors.

Lucky for me that the hard drive did not die completely so I was able to back everything up. Im going to get me a replacement hard drive tomorrow (gotta love the 3 year warranty. HD is around a year old, probably less)

I've tried my best to not let it heat up too much, and it sure did not fall or anything like that, so I've seriously no idea how did this happen.

The hard drive is a WDC WD2500KS.

This is what SpeedFan revealed:
    NOTE: not all warnings are reflected on fitness and performance overall values as relevancy is based upon the settings from the hard disk manufacturer who is the best entity deputed to define such relationships.

NOTE : your hard disk has 239 reallocated sectors (this value is very large and your hard disk should be replaced). Hard disks do have spare sectors (usually from 256 up to 1024) used to replace bad ones. This remapping operation is transparent to the end user. Anyway, this can lead to degradated performances (because remapped sectors are in different places of the disk than the original ones and the head needs additional moving). If reallocated sectors grow over time, you might encounter some serious troubles. A backup of the most important data is suggested anyway.

NOTE : your hard disk has 2 pending sectors. Those are sectors that couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

NOTE : your hard disk has 2 offline uncorrectable sectors. Those are sectors that an offline scanning found as unreadable. Offline scanning is a process that can be automatically started by the hard disk logic when a long enough idle period is detected or that can be forced by some tool. Those unreadable sectors are identified and the hard disk logic is waiting for a write command that will overwrite them to try to remap them to spare sectors (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

NOTE : your hard disk Power On Hours Count attribute current value (90) is below the normal range (96 - 100) reported for your specific hard disk model. Basically your hard disk was powered on for more than the maximum time the average user did. This means that either all of the reports collected are from hard disks that were not powered on for too long (this is realistic for recent models) or that your hard disk is becoming old. Usually this is not considered as a pre-failure advisory, but you should check whether you want to replace the hardware or keep an eye on its performances over time.

The overall fitness for this drive is 45%.
    The overall performance for this drive is 100%.
    If anyone has any info that can help, I'll be more than glad to hear it!

P.s. 500th post, wee!
    Announcing: Project ******* (Soon)
    EXAC Will cease to exist due to me finally getting a new rig! BUT I will mod the new case ;P

ATX Mental Case

i strongly suggest you get a cheap external HD pronto to back up all your songs! otherwise it could actually bite u in the ass one day

today....u just got lucky
    tomorrow..not so lucky
    OPP Transformers Case / Dangerously 1337 / Hell's Regect

get a seagate barracuda 7200.10! i'm 100 seagate (accept raptors).
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Well, going to get my replacement hard drive later this week.
    Currently on a freshly installed windows. By the way, a review is coming up (I REALLY enjoy my new headphones!)
    Announcing: Project ******* (Soon)
    EXAC Will cease to exist due to me finally getting a new rig! BUT I will mod the new case ;P

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Im going to pick up a 250GB Maxtor External HDD from my friend and use it to back up my current 160GB... The reason I'm sticking w/ this one is because it has the insanely-fast eSATA connection. Im going to get a SATA to eSATA adapter instead of using the one integrated with my mobo. I have had minor problems with that one before...

-Indybird

ya i bought a vantex esata to sata external case and it came with a braket to put in a empty pci slot (the braket not an actually pci slot) and it was a female esata to male esata WTF?! it should have been female esata to male sata so i bought a cable of ebay and use that.