Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A garage PC. Built workshop tough.

Austral Alien

Default A garage PC. Built workshop tough.

An idea that springs to mind for some older hardware and cases is to mod up a basic computer to live in my garage to give me basic web access out there for when I'm working on bikes and cases and want to look something up.

From a practicality perspective I would need:

A good dust filter system. It can get pretty dirty in the garage.

It would have to be cheap, in case of the worst. So I would run Ubuntu for the fact it's free and I'm only looking for web access and probably an MP3 player.

I have an old 17" Sony CRT I'm not using at the moment, so it will be perfect for the screen.

I would want the case small as I wouldn't want to take up a lot of work bench space for a PC. The CRT will be the limiting factor in saving bench space, so it may be a PC that the monitor can sit on top of.
    One of the old keyboards I have still has the plastic keyboard cover to stop dust getting it. It's one of those big old heavy IBM keyboards you could never kill, so perfect for what I want.

At least one easily accessible USB port would be a must for transferring file I might download via my flash drive and to be able to plug my camera in to upload photos.

From a looks perspective I would want:

It should look like part of the garage environment, so maybe a tool box mod, or something else that looks like maybe test equipment.
    Keyboard and mouse to go on a custom slide out tray from under the workbench that is big enough to use, yet be out of the way when working on other things.

Overall this would be a case built towards functionality over appearance to ensure a longer service life in a tougher environment over the average PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Default Re: A garage PC. Built workshop tough.

Sounds like a solid (no pun intended) plan. One idea, if you are using a flash drive to transfer files, and space is a factor, lose the CD drive after the Ubuntu install.
    RIP Bucko

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

You want something like this:
    http://www.denichi.com/products/syst...ys/en_308.html

This is the kind of machine that I use at work. It runs QNX. It's a really heavy case made of fairly thick steel. It's also loud because of the filter on the front of the 120mm fan.

Is awesome

Mod an old toolbox. Get an old pc or buy stuff for a new one, get two jumo drives, find a motherboard that can boot from USB (pretty sure that most can...) and put your operating system on the jumpdrive. This jumpdrive will also be your hard drive, so to speak. On the other USB drive, put your info you want to transfer. Simple.
    You love my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Quakken View Post
    Mod an old toolbox. Get an old pc or buy stuff for a new one, get two jumo drives, find a motherboard that can boot from USB (pretty sure that most can...) and put your operating system on the jumpdrive. This jumpdrive will also be your hard drive, so to speak. On the other USB drive, put your info you want to transfer. Simple.
    All excellent ideas. The only exception being that if you don't have a board that will boot to USB, you could always boot to CD.

+rep

BTW Bucko, You're giving me ideas for my new garage. I have a computer that this would be perfect for. +rep to you too.

Austral Alien

I would have the OS installed on a HDD. I have a couple of old ones tat are only around 7-10Gb, so they aren't much good for anything else.
    The main thing about this would it would have to be cheap. I would be using all existing hardware I have around the place.

I wouldn't buy a proper industiral case as that would cost too much. I'd either mod an existing case, or mod some tool box or ammo box I have lying around, or I might just make it out of MDF.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

im liking the sound of this, i how about a tool box/ chest like this?

you could have the keyboard in the lower drawer, lcd monitor on the top bit that flips up, just a thought

again really like the idea of this keep going!!!!

That's classified.

For inspiration and ideas: Toolbox PC

Quote Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
    For inspiration and ideas: Toolbox PC
    Wow,this pc toolbox is great,I will take some advices from this mod for my industrial style htpc...Thank!

-----------
    Working in progress : Industrial Style Htpc

Austral Alien

thanks for the idea guys.

I'm starting to lean towards a PC built into the bench.

I'll have to take some shots of my workbench and show you what I was thinking.
    I'm at work at the moment, so it will have to wait.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello