Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heres why you don't buy Prebuilt Computers

Default Re: Heres why you don't buy Prebuilt Computers

On the topic of pre-builts vs custom builds, I priced out a new mail server @ Dell today. Xeon 5130 proc, 4gb ram, 2x 146gb 10krpm SATA hdd's in raid 1, dual 1gb nics, = $3202 CAD.

Similar build (almost exact specs) from Memory Express = $1734.60

Differences? Dell has a 3 yr warranty, and the MemEx components all only have 1yr manufacturers warranty. Is that worth $1500 to you? Not me..

On the flipside, check out the Dell XPS M1310. SEXXXY doesnt begin to describe it. LED backlit screen, optional solid state hdd, under 4lbs! Might have to get one of those too.. wife has pretty much laid claim to the XPS M1210 already..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    A prefabb'd computer with the horsepower we like to have, is going to cost a considerable amount more, than if you buy the parts and do it yourself.. To me this is pretty elementary, in a lot of different aspects..

I think the key reason people like to buy a prefabbed PC is they like the security of knowing it will power on and work the way they would like, and if it doesn't, then they can lean on a warranty, or coverage on their purchase... The cost these days, to me at least, is closer in range than it used to be. Parts to build it yourself were pretty pricey compared to what you would pay for a Packard Bell or Compaq, but then again who remembers when the 133Mhz machines with 16MB or RAM cost $2200? I know you old timers can do better than that too heh heh

-J
    My first computer (486SX25, 4 megs of memory and a huge 100 meg hard drive, along with a 5 1/4" floppy iirc) ran me about $1500.

Then I turned around and dumped around another $700 into it (another 4 megs of RAM, the co-processor chip and a Creative 4 speed CD ROM/sound card combo kit).

So all told, $2200, give or take.

And FWIW, I hated that machine. Very glad it went to data heaven.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    My first computer (486SX25, 4 megs of memory and a huge 100 meg hard drive, along with a 5 1/4" floppy iirc) ran me about $1500.

Then I turned around and dumped around another $700 into it (another 4 megs of RAM, the co-processor chip and a Creative 4 speed CD ROM/sound card combo kit).

So all told, $2200, give or take.

And FWIW, I hated that machine. Very glad it went to data heaven.
    Sounds like my first machine, except mine was a 486 DX2 66Mhz with a 420 MB hard drive. Bought it used for $1000 and had to put stuff like a modem and CD-ROM in to it.

I bought a prebuilt Gateway a few years ago just because I thought I was getting more for my money. That machine has done nothing but piss me off. They used sysprep to install XP which has provided lots of weird software problems. I would reformat the drive and install XP pro, but I have some software on it that I've lost the CD's for.

I won't ever buy a prebuilt desktop machine again. I'm still trying to get over the shame of buying one from Gateway.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xpirate View Post

I won't ever buy a prebuilt desktop machine again. I'm still trying to get over the shame of buying one from Gateway.
    I'll never say never. Ebay has occasionally delivered for me. My fileserver originally came off of Ebay. Cost me a total of $35 with shipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Overclocked

What about computers from Dell for this cheap? Bet you cant beat this... Plus you can get another gig of ram free.

Im still a fan of building computers I built mine... as well as probably everyone on here.

Quote Originally Posted by .jrauck View Post
    Im still a fan of building computers I built mine... as well as probably everyone on here.
    I always build my work stations. But for my HTPC, kitchen computer and other low needs computers; I only do upgrades once in a while. Why pay more when you can have a little compaq for less then 200$ (OS Included) that will do the job for internet, music and Movies?

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

It is crazy i always find £150-£300 price diferance, but if you look on eBay there are some good ones, but then the thing that worrys me, what PSU does that have... do i want to spend an extra few hundread £ on a PC that has high end components and then a week and unstable power supply? No. Thats why i build PCs now.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by slytherock View Post
    I always build my work stations. But for my HTPC, kitchen computer and other low needs computers; I only do upgrades once in a while. Why pay more when you can have a little compaq for less then 200$ (OS Included) that will do the job for internet, music and Movies?
    Ya I couldn't agree more. If your into gaming and such I guess its another story...

I don't buy pre-built because I find too many good-for-purpose ones dumped on the street and the only hot machine I want is mine and I want to know where every damn screw in the thing is.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    A prefabb'd computer with the horsepower we like to have, is going to cost a considerable amount more, than if you buy the parts and do it yourself.. To me this is pretty elementary, in a lot of different aspects..

I think the key reason people like to buy a prefabbed PC is they like the security of knowing it will power on and work the way they would like, and if it doesn't, then they can lean on a warranty, or coverage on their purchase... The cost these days, to me at least, is closer in range than it used to be. Parts to build it yourself were pretty pricey compared to what you would pay for a Packard Bell or Compaq, but then again who remembers when the 133Mhz machines with 16MB or RAM cost $2200? I know you old timers can do better than that too heh heh

-J
    i still have a magaizen were that is a steal compared to the price in it.. its 1mb is 879.99 :p