Thread: new to water cooling, need help with water loss?

Default new to water cooling, need help with water loss?

well, i went out on a limb and got a gigabyte water cooling kit for christmas. i installed it(no leaks or anything )but now, im back at school, and running my computer a lotand it looks like the reservoir is getting low on coolant. ive been watching the level over the past couple of days, and it looks like its gone down a few millimeters. so i checked inside my case, and no water leaks or anything. i am hear a sounds sort of like water dripping into more water coming from my reservoir. is this normal? im new to water cooling, so i didnt know. but since there is no coolant spilled inside my case, the only other thing i can think of is it leaking somewhere in the radiator, but there is no coolant on the outside of the case either!?!? has anyone else had this problem? can anyone help me? my cooling kit is a gigabyte galaxy II (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835128015)

Default Re: new to water cooling, need help with water loss?

I don't have any experience with water cooling, but there are plenty of members here that do. I'm sure someone will be along soon enough with some more insight.

There could have been some air traped in the system and it eventually made its way out of the system. I guess some liquid will evaporate but it should be a minor amount over a lengthly amount of time. My system has gone down about 10-15ml (estamate) since i filled it up 4-5 months ago.

Also, i wouldnt use thoes manifolds in your kit. They would kill your flow rate. For best flows, have everything in series as opposed to a parallel cooling loop.

I thought i had a leak with mine, but if it's pretty new then you will have water get into little spaces you never even knew existed and left over air will slowly be pumped from the system, making you think you have waterloss, but the water level hasn't changed atall.

As the pump in that kit is built into the bottom of the res, or i think it is, you are probably hearing the pump sloshing water wish possible means there is air inside it, thats not a good thing, whilst its on turn it round not too much don't pull any tubing as it could cause a leak, but enough to maybe dislodge stuck air. Another method is to turn it on and off quickly.

And the possibility of it being a cheap kit is the fact warm coolant is evaporating and finding its way out.