Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange Computer Problem

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Strange Computer Problem

Try having a look at the click mechanism as in the actual bit that makes the click sound if that makes any sense

sound like there's a short somewhere, I second the IDE cable.

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

What should I do to fix this?

Thanks,
    Indybird

Have you left the original PSU in there? just a guess but if its Dell stuff the Chasis intrusion could be directly linked into the PSU. Dell do weird stuff no one else does. I would go into the BIOS with the case open and see if Chasis intrusion is enabled. If it is then disable it, close the case and see if you have lift-off. Most dells have Chasis intrusion even if you didn't find it yet!

Crazy

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

I've narrowed down the possibilities. The problem is either coming from the CD-ROM Drive, its IDE Cable, or the motherboard not agreeing w/ my IDE drives config. When the CD IDE cable is unplugged it will work just fine closed. This still makes absolutely no sense because, like I said before, I can close the case down to the very last millimeter (no exaggeration), but any further will kill the computer.

Does anyone know why closing the case another millimeter would kill the IDE or disk drive?

Thanks,
    Indybird

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Did you try it with a different IDE cable yet?

Where the hell is the "any" key? HackSore's Avatar

Well, CBs post seems logical, thats what i would look into.

The only other thing i can think of that hasnt already been mentioned is the possibility of something pressing against the molex wires on the cd drive connector when the chassis is closed and causing the molex connection to short/disconnect.
    From the pictures you posted its hard to judge the distance, but it looks as though the psu and cd drive could be pretty close to each other when the case is closed, and if you added a new psu or cd drive of different size, it could be pressing on something.
    could even be a dodgy connection on the molex plug or even elsewhere requiring only a tiny amount of pressure to cause problems, which would tie in with you being able to shut the case almost all the way with no problems.
    Its a long shot but worth thinking about.

Suffering from Multiple OS Disorder PartyLikeARockstar's Avatar

I'm going with (in order)

a)IDE issues, cable or otherwise
    b)a short

Have you checked the BIOS to make sure the IRQ assignment isn't nuts? Try a CMOS clear, then boot up again and see what happens. Also, you're not sharing an IDE between the 2 drives are you?
    water-cooled m-atx: (sold)
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=15368
    Diary Of a Caffeine Junkie: Powered by Rockstar (dead)
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=13786

Suffering from Multiple OS Disorder PartyLikeARockstar's Avatar

also

you said you drilled out your own mounts, try to put the little rubber/plastic/paper washers on your standoffs, if you haven't. you might be shorting from that somehow
    water-cooled m-atx: (sold)
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=15368
    Diary Of a Caffeine Junkie: Powered by Rockstar (dead)
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=13786

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird View Post
    I've narrowed down the possibilities. The problem is either coming from the CD-ROM Drive,
    A. Not this one as it works when open.

or the motherboard not agreeing w/ my IDE drives config.
    B. Well it is not this one either or you would have the same problem open or closed so we can rule that out.

its IDE Cable,
    C. Could be this as others have suggested - that the IDE cable is getting shorted, the connectors are getting squeezed or the molex to the CD getting shorted when the box shuts.

When the CD IDE cable is unplugged it will work just fine closed. This still makes absolutely no sense because, like I said before, I can close the case down to the very last millimeter (no exaggeration), but any further will kill the computer.
    This really makes me think you have to look at all the possibilities under answer C above. Something about that case closing is shorting/compromising the connectors.

Does anyone know why closing the case another millimeter would kill the IDE or disk drive?
    For the reasons stated above. Only those or a chasis intrusion switch you have missed.

Crazy