Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completely worthless mods

Default Completely worthless mods

Just for giggles, I'm trying to think of random things that could added or incorporated into a mod that was completely useless as far as added value to the mod itself (other than for aesthetic purposes).

So far, I have:
    1. an altimeter - since unless it was mobile, it would sit in the same spot all the time. I thought it would be ironic to add something like that to something that is mostly stationary.

2. a navigation screen - while a TomTom would look cool mounted to the front, it would be purely pointless.

3. a Geiger counter - since computing is typically done in the ABSENCE of radioactive elements...(that is, unless you like to match the green glow of your computer).

4. portable X-ray machine - of obvious reasons, of course. See above.

5. a Van DeGraff generator / Jacob's Ladder / neon light transformer - unless you have a nice lead shield or a Faraday cage, who wants to introduce that much EMI at once?

6. a weather machine - ok, maybe if it was hooked up to an external source for information, but if it was setup for inside, i think we could all just figure out the weather by looking around.

7. tachometer - maybe if used to only measure the fan rpms, but measuring clock cycles might end up being tricky.

Those are just a few. I'm guessing someone else could help me come up with even more useless stuff to add.

I find that if sometimes I make a list of stuff I can't use, then it helps me eliminate them and therefore focus on what things could be used for a project.

Default Re: Completely worthless mods

On the other hand of useful stuff, a lightning rod might not be a bad idea...

How about a calculator. LOL

a rain gauge mounted to the top - it will never rain inside unless there is a hurricane (or other natural disaster) in the area.

"Water Resistant to 1500ft" - glub glub glub ZAP!

a windmill - there wouldn't be alot of wind inside the house (...unless you lived on Everest).

case made from C4 or dynamite - The equation "explosive devices + electrical current = BAD NEWS" holds true even today's modern computer modding circles...or craters.

case made from random food sources, like say Jello - no comment

Where the hell is the "any" key? HackSore's Avatar

A clock. always the best thing to add.
    Take existing product, add a clock = profit.

no mods are worthless.
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

I think a jello box mod would be sweet.

I knew this lady who used to take those capri-sun juice things and make purses out of them. pretty sweet looking.

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

I'm throwing a tape deck in the full tower I'm working on now. It's got a clock, but it's intended to be backed up through a separate wire to the car's battery - so it's really only going to be an up-to-24-hour uptime counter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

What about a case built with stealth technology at odd angles to deflect radar that is covered with solar cells sitting inside and is on a catapult sitting 1 foot from the wall that holds an empty PEZ dispenser?

I guess that would be a mod that is functional AND have aesthetic value...

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    no mods are worthless.
    I think that people are misunderstanding this thread, so I thought I'd elaborate some.

I believe that people mod for two reasons, for functionality and for aesthetics (or a combination thereof). For example, functionality would be to add a radiator to the top to help in cooling the system, while aesthetics would be to add wings, a chrome grill, and two tone paint to make it look like a '57 Chevy.

Purely in the vein of being silly, I was trying to think of ways to add purely FUNCTIONAL things to the mod that actually provided NO FUNCTIONALITY at all.

Hope this helps...(otherwise I'll just let this thread die).