Thread: Case Frame Assembly

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Case Frame Assembly

So I've been planning to make a computer case using 0.5" aluminum L-framing. I have everything planned out except how to attach the pieces at the joints. I was thinking that some kind of joint cube or L-joint for this kind of thing exists, but I can't find any at the hardware store and I don't know what to search for online.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Thanks,
    Indybird

Default Re: Case Frame Assembly

I know Franklin used something similar to what you are talking about to build the frame in his Evolutionary mod located in the "Featured Worklogs" section, but that was for full square tubing. Not sure if there is such a thing for L frame. Most people use rivets, but I don't feel that you will get a very strong structure that way. One thing you can consider is using scraps of plexi to glue 90 degree shapes with some good epoxy and you'll get a good base to either epoxy the aluminum to or bolt it to.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Defyant's latest mod seems to just use screws or rivets or something on those lines.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=15578

Another idea is find someone with a welder and have the pieces welded together?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Welding aluminum is rather tricky. You need a special welding setup and even if you have it you must be very skilled. Especially in the case of angle aluminum stock because it is such a soft,lightweight aluminum that it vaporizes easily under a welder.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri