Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bestbuy taking advantage of special needs

Default Re: Bestbuy taking advantage of special needs

Oh! and theyre not just taking advantage of special needs people.....we're trained to try and take advantage of everyone.

However...when i feel a price isn't justified....i slip them my number so i can do a housecall.

Rofl, you got mad over that? It's not like I go in asking them hard networking questions... I go in asking simple questions about processors (even if they have a sticker right on the computer) and they can't tell me. And then they want me to pay 250 bucks for a formatted hard drive? Best buy is a rip off and all the tech has to do is tell me they are not sure, but when they try to BS me left and Right I have some fun. Sorry you are so mad, but it doesn't take 10 seconds to look at a sticker :/

It's not my fault they don't get paid great, hell I don't get paid that great... But I have enough common sense to at least know what i'm doing or how to find what i'm looking for.

but a lot of time the staff (Like in PC world) don't get the time, if all they have to is read a sticker, all you have to do is read said sticker?

that and with products moving forward so fast they change all the time, plus if they give you false information they can be prosecuted, most of the time that little sticker will only tell you the model number and core speed, i have only ever seen one item show the detailed specs and that was because it was a return so it had no packaging so the tech guys wrote everything on a sheet of paper and taped it to the PC

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Working at CC it felt like I was having to read up on tvs every 3 days to keep up. I remember one day I had 3 guys from the computer area who had me open a computer to show them everything so they weren't completely clueless.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Quote Originally Posted by thrash View Post
    It's not like I go in asking them hard networking questions... I go in asking simple questions about processors (even if they have a sticker right on the computer) and they can't tell me.
    Often times the computers are up on a shelf which can only be reached with a ladder. More and more of the stores are moving away from having them down on ground level. And the stickers don't have, at least they never did before, specs like cache and memory timings. I don't recall the boxes ever having memory timings either.

when they try to BS me left and Right I have some fun.
    Except you stated you deliberately go in there to mess with them, so who is BS'ing lol? You deliberately wasted 1/2 hour + of your time and theirs.

The stupid BB employee behavior you mention happens everywhere, not just BB.

Either way, when it comes to selling a product the employees goal is to sell you what they try to determine is the best match for you based on the products they carry. Even if that dell online would be a better, less pricier match, its not even to be considered. Nada, nope, off limits. Not be be even referenced. Convince the customer to buy one of their products. Don't want to be goaded into purchasing a BB computer, don't go to BB then. Do the research at home. It's the way retail works. If they wanted to give the best info and do the best for the customer they'd just send them to the company with the best deal/etc. If the best option is at a competitor it doesn't matter, you talk the customer into buying the best option you have, less you want to lose a job.

Retail isn't about always doing whats best for the customer because if it was you wouldn't have anywhere near the amount of business or revenue. The sales floor is a horrible place for an ignorant/unknowledgeable customer to be, but that's what keeps these places in business.

With Circuit City gone, and no other real tech retail store in many areas its just going to get worse. I feel sorry for those who get ripped off. A part of me figures they should do their research first, but no one can be an expert at everything so you have to rely and trust others, and sometimes the people you trust just take advantage of that.

Edit: And although it was that post that triggered it, I wasn't meaning to go directly at you. That type of post gets posted in just about every thread about BB and I just never see the point. I dislike that place as much as anyone but for some people its just a job. Not everyone is a pc genius, but to work on the sales floor you need to know nothing about computers. If you do, then great, but they take whoever they can. Products hit EOL way to fast for someone to spend their free time learning everything about every model. I've been there and done that, and to be honest it wasn't what put me close to bringing in ~50% rev/budget for pc department just about every day on an 8-10 person team, good people skills and being able to talk people into buying those damn warranty plans and home services that I loathed to the very core did that.

What a skyscraper of text.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ichbin View Post
    200 = Diag and Virus removal...
    I have BB's price list and a Diag is only $59 (only, that's rediculous too)
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440