Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: probably an ignorant question...

Arrow probably an ignorant question...

This is for you veterans of modding..

I'm assuming you guys that have done 10+ mods don't have a dozen computers sitting around your house. Where do you sell these things? I mean I kind of envisioned eBay, but I don't see how you could make a totally custom PC and try and sell the idea to the masses...I mean as far as the themed cases. Do you typically make your cash back and some extra? What's the turn around like? Do you get asked to commission these jobs? I'm an IT tech and I would love nothing more than to make modding a career. Can someone who's been doing this for a few years fill me in on the methods of the market?

Any info greatly appreciated.

D
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man. "
    -Henry David Thoreau-

-Told You So Studios

Default Re: probably an ignorant question...

You won't make any money modding. It's a fairly proven fact. You eithergive it away or keep it
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    You won't make any money modding. It's a fairly proven fact. You eithergive it away or keep it
    Some people do make money at it, but only the very best. Even then, it is hit and miss. I know of one modder on another forum that has made tons of money making custom rigs for people. He has also lost tons of money due to shipping issues (one system was completely destroyed bu UPS and they ended up only paying him $.50 on the dollar saying it was his problem for not packing it good enough), one was lost completely in Canadian customs and the shipper refused to pay for it.

SO money can be made, but usually it is for custom designed systems, not a personal mod.

Mostly people do it for personal enjoyment. I have made a little bit of cash doing things like modding desks to hold computers, or simple customizations like paint jobs and such. In most cases I have contracted out a lot of the work I was not comfortable doing. As the economy picks up I expect to see the custom mod business pick up as well. In fact the company I work for is quoting some custom work for a large Silicon valley company right now. Some cool systems based on the Antec 900 case. More on that when we actually get the contract...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Most of the work I've done, aside from my own machines, has been for friends and family. While most of the time I'm compensated in some way it usually isn't cash payments. The other downside is that this is a limited market base. The truly proficient modders around here often build for a sponsor who then keeps and displays the system but they are relatively few in number.
    I think that there are many of us who have this dream but very few who have been able to make it reality.
    TheMainMan

ah reality...what a cruel B****.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

-Told You So Studios

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by burntheland View Post
    ah reality...what a cruel B****.
    you said it most people around here aren't into it .
    They just don't see the appeal the masses anyway .

Talk to the guy from http://www.suissacomputers.com/.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite KNight View Post
    Talk to the guy from http://www.suissacomputers.com/.

Ok, those are absolutely sick! But starting at three grand? STARTING! Yeah right man. Cause I'm not only a huge nerd/geek I'm a big fan of the arts. And as gorgeous as those are, and no matter how bad I want one...no way in hell I'm spending three grand on it. When I got my taxes back I blew 5k on tools, parts, and beer! w00t!
    -Henry David Thoreau-

-Told You So Studios

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

There is some money to be made modding thing people already own. Like game consoles. You could offer to paint someone's case for $20, or toss a window in and some lights for a few bucks.

-CollinstheClown

Quote Originally Posted by burntheland View Post
    Ok, those are absolutely sick! But starting at three grand? STARTING! Yeah right man. Cause I'm not only a huge nerd/geek I'm a big fan of the arts. And as gorgeous as those are, and no matter how bad I want one...no way in hell I'm spending three grand on it. When I got my taxes back I blew 5k on tools, parts, and beer! w00t!
    $3k is a deal for a custom computer. I know of several people who have paid upwards of $15k for a custom water cooled rig, hand built for them. They had some input on the design, but not on the final outcome.

The $$ is completely dependent upon the customer. Many many years ago I did a simple desk modification for a lawyer and it cost him close to $10k! To be honest though, 80% of that was for hiring a professional wood worker to hack into his custom mahogany desk (that cost him $20k). My wood working skills, while good are, in no way comparable to a professional. We did such a great job, his partner hired us to do the same thing to his desk.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...