Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 547

Thread: Project Stealthlow

  1. #181
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Holy sheet I've developed a muscle in my forearm I never knew existed & it aches a lot, filing total for yesterday & today rounds up to about 17 hours, gahhh I feel like a zombie.

    The brass thread inserts are meant for acyrlic but I must have miss drilled the bottom right side holes for the helicoils so were not a good tight fit so I used a 4mm drill bit for the brass inserts, placed them in the hole.


    Hammer time

    Put masking tape over it to keep it in place & whacked it in with a hammer, then fine tuned the whacking with a small hammer so it was in flush, good stuff , seems I clipped the back panel & it made the right panel not go on correct so whacked the excess off with a chisel & it goes on fine now.






    Fan mount bars.

    Cut the main 6 bars to required size & was only gonna do these 6 & the other optional 2 or 4 tomorrow but done the lot today.


    Many hours of this.




    Test fit


    Panels on with an extra bolt near the top back of the side panels & the front 2 fan mounts, top fan mount & bottom fan mount filing done.








  2. #182
    The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho, USA
    Posts
    3,052

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Lookin' schweet!!!

    +r
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

    Tri.fecta

  3. #183
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Thanks AmEv

    Just taken the mobo tray out & going to use the rest of today to get it measured & marked up for the motherboard & fan mounts.

  4. #184
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Knowing people are following the log & commenting really does give me that bit more drive to keep moving forward, without the comments from people I'd still be doing slack efforts lol so thanks for that & last but not least thanks to every other modder who do amazing projects who have inspired me to do better .

    I marked up the mobo panel for the fan mounts & where the pci/io piece will go during the night but need to make the pci/io piece before I can mark the mobo mounting holes so I'll work on that tomorrow, had a crazy long sleep waking up at 2 pm yesterday after the filing so I count that as 2 days worth of sleep , I should have been up all day too which should mean a decent update by the end of today but I nodded off the sleep so wrecks the acceptable noise time levels so tomorrow it is .



    LOL I can't figure out why I didn't draw the pci/io lines on the materials when I drew the mobo tray layout last night as it's taken near 3 hours & it's ready for taking to the garage to be cut out which with it being near 8 pm I'll leave until tomorrow now but a little more rest won't hurt .

    This was inspired by an aluminium billet pci/io piece I seen a while ago here on bit-tech but the guys price was I think nearly 200 euros (about the cost of the aluminium on this project), I was in love with it but the price ended that lol so I decided to make my own solid pci/io piece by making layers, the theory is spot on, just hope it turns out the same taken precise measurements from a lian-li piece, made the sketchup model & now it's time to make it.

    I'll be using 2x 5mm acrylic sheets, 2x 2mm aluminium sheets & 1x 1mm sheet to make a 15mm thick piece, only the 2mm inside sheet will have slots, all the rest will be plain cut out area, always wanted to make my own & figure this will be the easiest way to do it compared to bending a sheet of alu.






  5. #185
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    This was going to be an update earlier but got cracking on with an alternative so it wasn't a wasted day .

    LOL didn't go to plan the metal work did but the 5mm acrylic pieces didn't it's just soo brittle so came back in to get my thoughts together & as usual came up with an alternative which is all aluminium & if that fails then I could always go with a pci/io piece from another case & admit defeat on making my own but I'll give it another try but yeah that means loads of marking up again which takes a while to do right.

    So the new plan is 5 3mm pieces bolted together, got 1 done & checked the IO cover from my last mobo & it won't go in easily because of it being 3mm instead of 1mm thick so to fix that all I need to do is give it a bevel on the last piece so the notches of the IO cover can click on.

    Anyway the marking up will be nice & fast actually as I have 1 of the pieces made & it's spot on so it'll make a good template even for the 1 with the slots so back to it I go included the failed acrylic pieces for a laugh, the 1st 1 when drilling ripped a corner off & the 2nd 1 was going ok & cut out the IO piece but the reciprocating saw melted the cuts so wouldn't fall out & with already being frustrated with the 1st piece I whacked it out & it ripped it in half lol.

    Hopefully I'll have some more pieces done by the end of the day, especially the 1 with the slots.

    Started off positive.


    Metal work went well.








    Hmmmm acrylic pieces :lol:.




    Last try but this time all alu .


    Alright, got the needed pieces marked up in about 15 minutes thanks to the piece I already made, time to cut these out & even with getting them done as fast as possible it took 4 hours to cut all these & they require a lot of filing, I'll just have to remember it'll be worth it lol.













    Yeah they look rough as I don't know what but that will change after heaps of filing .

  6. #186
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Started at 9:15 PM, finished 4:40 AM lol, managed to keep the noise quiet by clamping heavily & holding the pieces so they don't make any vibration or high pitch noise, then came in & cleaned the kitchen, made a coffee & started putting this together while parking my rear, ahhhhh .































    They still require some more work but nothing major .

  7. #187
    A.B. normal msmrx57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,602

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Holy bung load of filing batman!!!! Looks like some good progress though.

    BTW love the mug.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

  8. #188
    Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    804

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Impressive. You're going to have Popeye sized arms by the time you're done this project!
    TheMainMan

  9. #189
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    Holy bung load of filing batman!!!! Looks like some good progress though.

    BTW love the mug.
    The filing I'm hoping there won't be much more of it .
    My modding drink of choice is cappuccino with 3 sugars, really keeps me going, well that & my mp3 player .

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    Impressive. You're going to have Popeye sized arms by the time you're done this project!
    LOL Thanks MainMan .
    The grade of the sheet aluminium is much softer than the bars but was still a fair bit of effort.

  10. #190
    The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho, USA
    Posts
    3,052

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    You.
    Are
    Amazing.
    Wow.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

    Tri.fecta

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •