Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 547

Thread: Project Stealthlow

  1. #211
    Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    804

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Looks good! Part of scratch building that has kept me from trying is the mobo standoffs. You just made that seem a whole lot easier than I imagined!
    Also, just wanted to make sure you're using a tiny bit of oil when drilling and countersinking. It's hard to believe the difference it makes.
    Great job!
    TheMainMan

  2. #212
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    Looks good! Part of scratch building that has kept me from trying is the mobo standoffs. You just made that seem a whole lot easier than I imagined!
    Also, just wanted to make sure you're using a tiny bit of oil when drilling and countersinking. It's hard to believe the difference it makes.
    Great job!
    Thanks mate it can be overly complicated or simple & went the simple route .
    Yeah I only just started using a lube when drilling, tapping & sinking & yeah it makes a big difference lol .

    Just got the countersink & counterbore bits but the counterbore wasn't what I was expecting (the pilot was the size I needed but the cutting bit was way too big) so that won't be used & the countersink bit is garbage & might need to remake the back panel, the sink it made is nowhere near as smooth as the ones I did with my other bit so need to get same type of countersink as my last which means sometime next week before more progress just hope I can get away with not needing to do a new back panel.

  3. #213
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Was going to leave the project alone for a few days after finding my new countersink bit was crap (it said it is for metal but I highly doubt this & knew I needed a new one, ordered the same type as my last & decided to do the slots for the expansion cards on the mobo tray.

    I also have a solution for the badly done countersinks on the back, not massively ideal but it'll work .

    The upside down hdd cage, but since found a source for left angle sata cables but I'll just have to hope that 600mm is long enough, should be .


    Marked, drilled & started using a manual fretsaw to make the expansion slots.


    Just needs filing.


    Filed & brushed both sides of the mobo panel as it was looking pretty shabby & put back in the case.











  4. #214
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Had a real lazy day & just tested the pci expansion cards line up correct & phew they do .




    Now just need to make some kind of easy maintenance clamping piece for holding cards in place .

  5. #215
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Here is my first idea for holding the expansion cards in place, it would be made from solid aluminium bar with brass inserts that are screwed in from the rear panel, a hefty amount of filing again though lol but the theory works for me & might even look ok .

  6. #216
    The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho, USA
    Posts
    3,052

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    That looks stylish.
    For more ideas, take a look at ModCron's case.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

    Tri.fecta

  7. #217
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    That looks stylish.
    For more ideas, take a look at ModCron's case.
    Thanks AmEv, just checked out your project, it has potential & is a strangely awesome case for an older one, never seen an older case like it .

  8. #218
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    LOL Tried that clamping block idea but couldn't seem to get the needed pressure on it while clamping, kind of a 3 or 4 handed job so then I tried using 6mm flat bars a piece above & below the expansion slots with a theaded insert in the ends which I have to admit is doable but might not look so good & it would still require a fiddly install which goes against the ease of use, so I ordered a lian-li part hehe, one of those toolless pci clamp things but thats just going in the spares box now but I might study it & make my own some time .






    The reason I didn't want to add the usual threaded holes is a 5 stack of alu wasn't the original plan so there could be issues with expanding & loss of form, maybe it would be possible to drill & tap it if held in a vice but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

    I'd heartily recomend not making your own pci/io piece based on a standard one after this lol, at least I know this for sure now but then again this was my first time, making something fairly complex & the first time is always a bit of a nightmare when you only have a rough idea of what to do so if you do have a go at making your own be prepared for muckups .

    Anyway I thought why the heck not just have a try at holding firm in the vice with a clamp, drilling, tapping, helicoils, now things didn't go correct with the pci/io mobo standoffs, I'd say I'm about 2mm away from where it should be but it all still works as it should so everythings ok .

    Nice technical markings ready & spot drilled lol .


    Tapping


    Helicoils in & done .


    Ohhhhhh Shheeeeeeet but will be fixed up when I get around to doing the body filling .


    Works awesome but yeah some body filler work to get this piece spot on .






    And this shot shows how it's probably 2mm away from where it should be, oh well at least it all works as it should .

  9. #219
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Got all the fan mount bars to the same sizes & made the notches so they are all the same & match up correct, spot drilled the mounting end, drilled, tapped, helicoiled. tried out, just need to add the fan mounting holes & countersinks as I intend to use regular black fan screws but still waiting for the countersink bit.











    I'll get the mounting holes ready for when the countersink bit gets here.

  10. #220
    Fresh Paint Xhenthius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Wow! This kind of work just really inspires me to start doing some mods! + rep!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •