Page 34 of 55 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 547

Thread: Project Stealthlow

  1. #331
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Been a while since a real update but the project hasn't died yet lol .

    There are many ways to fill the middle void but for the time being I want to focus on doing what I originally intended.

    Here we go again sort of.

    First I cut the 1mm sheet alu into an inner piece & outer piece, the scrap left over from the 2 cuts I clamped to the curve & put the motherboard tray in place so I could see exactly where the bottom end should be & to mark where the vents should be, I left about 10mm over for the bottom end of the acrylic.




    Then I got side tracked with cleaning off all the red marker on the right side panels inside edges, started off using wet&dry strips but was taking forever so painted the edges with wd40 & it came off nice & easy .

    I got the top mount block cut outs done with the internal alu sheet & had to unbolt 1 side of the curve bar so I could get this 1 piece alu sheet in place, if only this was the design lol would be an absolute breeze to just cut a grill pattern into this, oh well I chose the difficult route & I'm sticking with it .








    Anyway I got the clamping pieces ready for tomorrow so might have a solid update of good progress then & if not tomorrow then day after .

  2. #332
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Oh yeah this will do me, at freaking last hehe .

    Window cut to size & vents & top mounting holes added








    Top little curve beginning, it was soooo difficult setting up this curving procedure with it just being me, but if I'd have been able to get a hand off someone it could have been done a lot easier, instead I had an ultra fiddly time & often had to use my head or chin to tighten the clamps lol.






    Setting up for the big curve.






    Crazy clampage .


    It didn't take a solid form of what I was aiming for but once mounted to the bottom mounts & a few added tabs in key spots it should be good.


    And I wrapped it up for the day since it hit midnight lol.


    Still though I'll need to make some 3mm alu tabs inside & out to hold it flush to the bars & with the top mounting holes being so close to the edge I'd be wise to use washers too & I have done better top curves but this one isn't too bad but if it bothers me enough I might do what some have suggested & combine 2 winning pieces & do something to hide the fact it's 2 separate parts .

  3. #333
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    I've had a good relax after that & been thinking about how to make the tabs look like a good feature of the mod & other bits of the mod & I've blown the rest of the money from the motherboard switchover refund, could be a few weeks before I get to assemble it all, could be sooner, depends on how things go, I'm going to start getting quotes for anodising tomorrow but have no idea on how to enquire about it to be honest with there being many different pieces, sizes, thicknesses & a couple of different spec of alu, I still need to remove the steel helicoils & brass inserts but I'm not worried about that, it'll get done soon enough & I'll have an alternative ready for once it's been anodised, also gonna have to get the case feet anodised but don't know if they already are or not.

    I've ordered some copper so I'll be changing from doing anodised blue internals to anodised copper internals to keep with the colours, was semi split between polished alu or polished copper & copper won as copper & black just looks awesome together , got it with the refund from the replacement b3 revision motherboard, I was gonna use the money for a few upcoming games but to be honest I doubt I'd play them until this mod is done so put it into the mod & I'll buy the games once I get this up & running, was gonna get the witcher 2, fable 3 & possibly brink but I think I'll get to see how they do in the reviews now.

    The real copper I'm adding is.

    DIY mesh for the vents on the window to fill the shape of the big vents I made.

    10mm copper tabs that go 15mm over the acrylic & 15mm over the alu bars above & under & nicely rounded & about every 90mm along the full length of the case, even to the bottom so it looks right. Where the vents on the window are they will possibly get full length tabs, all the tabs will be polished & given a protective coat.

    And the bottom front alu panel 1mm thick exterior panel brushed anodised black with some cut out details with a 2mm thick copper panel with diy mesh & the optical stealthed with 3mm copper piece, sure that isn't exactly stealthed but it should look good .

    And since I ended up using body filler on the internal fan bars I'm redoing them in copper with properly aligned mounting holes so that's my refund gone .

    --------


    Parts getting anodised black
    Side panels, curve bars, back panel, external bottom front panel, Bottom panel, a few pieces on the hdd platform.

    Parts getting anodised copper colour
    Mobo tray, 2nd level, hdd cages.

    Parts getting painted either copper or black
    Fixing bars, pci/io piece, optical drive.

    Parts that will actually be copper
    All front meshes, all the holding tabs & all the fan bars.

  4. #334
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Sanded the pci/io piece & primed it, I bought some copper paint to cover it - Toyota Copper metallic & Vauxhall Bright Copper metallic so hopefully between the 2 I can make it look somewhere near the look of copper, was either this or black & since the back panel is going to be black I'd have a go at copper paint, how I left it last night I really wasn't sure about it but I think it turned out pretty good .




















    The copper came yesterday & wow it weighs a lot compared to aluminium (never worked with it before), on the sheet copper though the place sent correct sizes for 2 of the pieces but what should have been a 200x200x2 piece was the same as the other 150x100 sheets so just ordered another sheet & sorted it with the ebayer to refund the difference with free postage.


    Printed out the layout for the cut-outs & drill marks & cut the patterns out & stuck them on with cello tape lol it worked though I also pre drilled the curve bars, I'll still need to file slots out of the motherboard tray to take the underside tabs.


    Here is all the tabs & the optical tray cover to a basic cut done on the power fretsaw I got it out & messed around with it & wow, wish I did sooner lol it will change the way I mod quite a bit in future mods .


    Test fit of the 2 full length tabs.


    All of them with perfectly flat edges & rounded corners.


    And a finishing shot for this session of the copper pieces with the pci/io piece , for the tabs I still need to do the underside ones in aluminium & polish the copper & aluminium then the tabs are done, also got to make the copper vents where the vents in the acrylic is, might be tricky as they'll have to be a very good fit & perfect faint curve but it's copper & it's easy to shape when hot as I accidentally found out .


    I didn't get around to phoning the anodising place but will do on Monday they'll do it for me .

  5. #335
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Aluminium underside tabs.

    Printed same template & stuck with cello tape, spot drilled, drilled, tapped, cut, put helicoils in & got all the edges straight & gave them all a bevelled edge & mounted to the case, need 2 people to put the window in so left that out for the time being .














    They still need sanding & polishing & 1 of the full length copper bars or aluminium bars need re doing as 1 of them doesn't line up 100%.

  6. #336
    Overclocked BS Mods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Union Washington
    Posts
    333

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    This looks more and more awesome every time I check back. Keep up the good work!
    Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne

  7. #337
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by BS Mods View Post
    This looks more and more awesome every time I check back. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks mate I'm considering not anodising now & instead keeping everything brushed & polished, if the pci/io piece doesn't fit in well then I'll strip it down & paint a more fitting colour .

  8. #338
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Got the window installed so I could find the precise line I need to cut & also marked up on the right curve bar for the notches on the mobo tray that need filing down a little, I found 1 of the front fan mount bars was extremely close to the tabs so when I make the fan mount bars out of copper I'll need to file a tiny bit off so it fits without touching the tabs.












    A random bunch of pictures with todays effort completed, 1 of the full length tabs is missing it's internal aluminium tab as I'm waiting for helicoils but wooooo I'm happy with todays progress .


















    Things to do in order.
    Remake the fan mount bars from copper.
    Make the copper mesh pieces for the front vents.
    Make a 1mm thick aluminium bottom front cover.
    Make a 2mm thick copper bottom front cover.
    File some notches in the bottom hdd cage platform bars for fan cables to pass underneath.
    Extend the fan cables & sleeve them.
    Install some cable clip tidiers.
    Polish the curve bars & tabs.
    Brush all panels 1 last time lol.
    Take the sandy bridge gear out of air cube, clean it up & install into Stealthlow & jump around like an idiot shouting wooooooooooooo .
    Take some good pictures .

  9. #339
    Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    5,865

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Wait a staffer actually doing modding work? It can't be true! Who did you pay to do all this for you huh?

  10. #340
    ATX Mental Case Blibbax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    This build is really starting to look awesome. I can't wait to see it finished
    _

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •