Page 35 of 55 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435363738394045 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 547

Thread: Project Stealthlow

  1. #341
    The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho, USA
    Posts
    3,052

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Wait a staffer actually doing modding work? It can't be true! Who did you pay to do all this for you huh?
    Ehm, his boss???
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

    Tri.fecta

  2. #342
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Wait a staffer actually doing modding work? It can't be true! Who did you pay to do all this for you huh?
    Me staff? lol & who did I pay to do this for me? myself, the price of the service was my 3 previous scratch builds & countless hiccups along the way , I'll be doing a monkey to man group photo when it's complete hehe so I guess my design & fabrication skills have seriously come a long way since 2008 if anyone is saying that, cheers SXRguy .

    Quote Originally Posted by Blibbax View Post
    This build is really starting to look awesome. I can't wait to see it finished
    Thanks Blibbax me too I just bought the witcher 2 & I'm itching to play it but I'm holding off on it until this is complete so I can play some awesome games I've been missing out on with doing this since begining of December so if I press on it could be days but I would really have to press on which I will as I'm itching to get stuck into that game .

    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Ehm, his boss???
    Boss? I don't have a boss .

  3. #343
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Hi all, I got a suggestion from voigts on bit-tech to use full length strips instead of frankenstein type tabs, it left me in a pickle for a bit as I knew he was right lol so I've since ordered the copper sheet but it could be up to about the 4th of June before I get it, so theres the upcoming change which will delay this a little .

    Sleep pattern fixed I hope & took some pictures in better light.




    Designed & printed & marked the shape of the vents on 4 individual pieces because each 1 will be very slightly different.


    Stuck them down to the 3mm copper sheet with cello tape, I'd do a lot better if I used adhesive spray but don't have any & couldn't be bothered with waiting for a delivery or going out to get some lol anyway got it spot drilled & drilled, I was going to use a 4mm drill bit but it was really blunt & getting nothing done so went to the 3.5mm bit.






    Then took it to the fretsaw & this was a point where I wish I went & got some spray adhesive so had to be really careful I wasn't going inside the cut line, I really must buy some spray adhesive before I do the other 3, it would make it a lot easier.




    Cleaned off all the cello tape.


    Got the big stew pan which I partly used for curving the main curve bars & heated up the copper piece a lot & then clamped it at 3 points to make it curved.




    It was curved a bit too much so had to carefully whack it with a mallet on a solid metal piece so used the vice & with the shape not being exact with it not being stuck down properly I had to take it back & forth to the disc sander shaving bit by bit off until it plonked into the vent hole & here is the first 1 done wooooo .







  4. #344
    Fresh Paint
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Front of the case (and the rest) looks really nice, but I would strongly suggest to keep it as simple as possible, to preserve the flow of the design. (but that is just my opinion/style)

  5. #345
    ATX Mental Case licenseless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Okinawa Japan
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    is it going to be painted grey or is it going to be copper... just a question...

  6. #346
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Front of the case (and the rest) looks really nice, but I would strongly suggest to keep it as simple as possible, to preserve the flow of the design. (but that is just my opinion/style)
    Hey Gtek welcome to TBCS .
    Are the vent meshes too much? the tabs are getting replaced by long strips when it arrives so should merge well I imagine.

    Anyway heres what's planned, nothing more than this .

    The only things I have planned for the front are these vent meshes, replacing the tabs with about 15mm strips of copper with bevelled edges going from top to bottom to keep the window & bottom panel clamped in.

    The bottom front will be replaced with a 1mm sheet of alu that has optical tray & button cut-out & plain hole to go in front of a 2mm copper sheet that has optical tray & button cut-out & diy mesh which will be clamped in place by the long copper strips, already cut out the optical tray cover but yet to make the eject button, then it's all polishing then the front is done .

    But I still haven't decided where I'm putting the power switch but I think it will go on the right curve bar somewhere close to the 2nd level.

    Quote Originally Posted by licenseless View Post
    is it going to be painted grey or is it going to be copper... just a question...
    No paint, I only painted the pci/io piece because I used body filler so couldn't be anodised but I might not be getting it anodised now & considering just finishing it off by re brushing any of the panels that need it & polishing all of the front metal.

    Actually not all of the front metal, the 1mm aluminium sheet will be brushed .

  7. #347
    ATX Mental Case licenseless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Okinawa Japan
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    Hey Gtek welcome to TBCS .
    Are the vent meshes too much? the tabs are getting replaced by long strips when it arrives so should merge well I imagine.

    Anyway heres what's planned, nothing more than this .

    The only things I have planned for the front are these vent meshes, replacing the tabs with about 15mm strips of copper with bevelled edges going from top to bottom to keep the window & bottom panel clamped in.

    The bottom front will be replaced with a 1mm sheet of alu that has optical tray & button cut-out & plain hole to go in front of a 2mm copper sheet that has optical tray & button cut-out & diy mesh which will be clamped in place by the long copper strips, already cut out the optical tray cover but yet to make the eject button, then it's all polishing then the front is done .

    But I still haven't decided where I'm putting the power switch but I think it will go on the right curve bar somewhere close to the 2nd level.


    No paint, I only painted the pci/io piece because I used body filler so couldn't be anodised but I might not be getting it anodised now & considering just finishing it off by re brushing any of the panels that need it & polishing all of the front metal.

    Actually not all of the front metal, the 1mm aluminium sheet will be brushed .

    so what are you going to do about the copper tarnish... or do you not mind the looks of it loosing its copper look after awhile?

  8. #348
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by licenseless View Post
    so what are you going to do about the copper tarnish... or do you not mind the looks of it loosing its copper look after awhile?
    Yeah I guess there maybe no getting away from it so I just looked up what to use & brass lacquer looks to be the stuff to keep it from losing it's looks, think I'll use it on the polished aluminium also .

  9. #349
    ATX Mental Case licenseless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Okinawa Japan
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    Yeah I guess there maybe no getting away from it so I just looked up what to use & brass lacquer looks to be the stuff to keep it from losing it's looks, think I'll use it on the polished aluminium also .

  10. #350
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by licenseless View Post


    Got my head straight with some good much needed rest & got the other 3 vent meshes made today, mucked up on 1 of them somehow so re-made the 1 I mucked up .








    Up next cut, bend & drill the mounting holes in the copper full length tabs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •